Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bababoosky

Grand Rapids (MI) - Medevac Crash @ Hospital - 5-29-08

1 post in this topic

Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt

Helicopter crashes at Grand Rapids hospital

James Prichard / Associated Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- A helicopter crashed at a hospital on Thursday, sending thick, black smoke into the air over downtown and forcing the evacuation of patients from the building.

It was not clear whether anyone had been injured in the crash at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital.

Elizabeth Isham Cory, a spokeswoman for the FAA in Chicago, said two people were on board.

"We basically believe it was practicing approaches," when the helicopter crashed around 11 a.m., she said. The FAA was investigating and the National Transportation Safety Board may investigate, Cory said.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../805290455/1361

Possible scenario that might occur in Westchester, any thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/29/mi.copter...h.ap/index.html

Possible scenario that might occur in Westchester, any thoughts?

it doesn't say where the helipad is located, you would assume it's on the roof, but not too sure.

at wmc the landing pads are ifo the ER triage enterance (for drop off's only) and in the rear of the hospital where the choppers stay for long periods of time. essentially, either one could crash into WMC when landing. i work at WMC/NYMC and see landings quite often and i do notice the choppers almost never fly above the main hospital. When landing they tend to decend away from WMC and when they leave the drop off pad, to the main pad, the pilots generally fly clear of WMC to land in the rear. again their decend is angled clear from buildings.

i'm sure the same practices go for other area hospitals, maybe Chris can elaborate