Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Structure Fire- Waterbury, CT - South St 6/7/08

4 posts in this topic

I took these pics last week on South St in Waterbury CT. Waterbury Fire had a bunch of calls going on at the same time as this incident do to a strong thunderstorm rolling through the area. So units from outlying districts came in to cover. Waterbury FD Eng. 4 is right around the corner, but apparently, the brothers were on another call so they weren't first due.

I showed up when Engine 11 and Truck 2 were rolling up on scene. It was a nice stop. Lightning was coming down all around, so kudos to the boys willing to get up in the bucket. From my perspective, everyone did a great job stopping the fire from progressing through the building.

01-Photo1-1.jpg

02-Photo2.jpg

10-Photo10.jpg

13-Photo13.jpg

post-16055-1213573557.jpg

post-16055-1213573606.jpg

post-16055-1213573633.jpg

post-16055-1213573641.jpg

WFD was jamming with that storm that came throguh. This was one of the buildings that was struck by lighting in town that day.

Those are FANTASTIC shots! Good job to the WFD Brothers.

I am curious if anyone can provide facts on the tactics of the actual suppression effort. For example, where did the first line go? I assume through the front, but by the picture, it looks like heavy attic involvement. Did the effort go defensive at any point? It just seems like whatever you do in a job like that, you will wind up pushing the fire through the whole place. It looks as if a line is flanking the fire in one of the pictures from the exterior. It looks like there are a myriad of lessons that can be learned from this type of job and I would love to get some pointers on how it was fought.

Thanks!

Joe C.