Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mwE33

Is it worth taking the NYS EMT-I Course

23 posts in this topic

I'm considering taking the EMT-Intermediate course is it worth even taking... anybody have advice

It honestly all depends on if any agencies run "ILS" level systems in your area. If you are ever considering taking the paramedic course, then just take the medic course, the EMT-I level is not really worth it if you are, or if there are none in your area. I know its really a regional dependent thing.

in the westchester region you can get mac'ed for the I level so long as you are part of an als agency, or a bls agency running at the "I" level.

there are a few other things to consider.

1. if you are part of an ems agency the class is free pending successful completion and passing of the exams

2. your knowledge base will only go up and you can use it as a feeler to see if medic class is for you

a side note. i am not recommending taking the class at one place or another but i know the instructor who is teaching the I class at phelps come september 3 people I work with took his I class last year and he did not just teach to the nys-I exam he really taught the national registry I-99 which as far as i can tell is really = to the nys-cc

I'm considering taking the EMT-Intermediate course is it worth even taking... anybody have advice

It's only going to be worth it if you will be able to practice your skills in an Intermediate or Advanced life support service. Otherwise, the knowledge is nice but the skills are perishable so you'll lose them if you don't use them.

If you are ready to go to a higher level of care, the EMT-CC (Critical Care) is only another couple of weeks longer or so than the Intermediate, and you are than an ALS provider, and it is also free to members of an EMS agency. Paramedic isnt covered by a lot of agencies and you need to pay out of pocket for it (Notice I didnt say ALL agencies ;) )

To me the I level is kind of a waste except for codes when you can intubate. But, not having any drugs to push after you tube is kind of a waste. I believe, and correct me if Im wrong, that NYS is still talking about changing the whole thing around anyway. Last I heard (Almost 9 years ago) they were going to erase the EMT-CC level, and bump up the training for both EMT basic and intermediate. Basics would be able to start lines and intubate and shock manually. Intermediates would have first line cardiac meds, D-50, lasix, etc. But again, that was only hear-say and I have not heard anything additional. Any instructors know more??

I have been an Intermediate since 1998; I am currently recerting back to Basic. Even though we work with Paramedics, I don't get to use the skills. The knowledge was great, but all the clinical requirements during the course was grueling when you are holding a full-time job, family, etc.

If you have the time and energy, I would suggest just going straight to Paramedic; wish I had done it 20 years ago!

Is there any upcoming classes for Westchester County????

yea theres a course at phelps in september

I would recommend taking the Paramedic course instead. If you'r interested in advancing your EMS career, might as well aim for the top! Best of luck!

I just wanted to make sure i read this right the EMT- I class is every other saturday and sunday. and the state final passing grade the same as EMT 70 or better or is it higher

from what ive read its every other saturday and sunday and im not sure about the grade

I just wanted to make sure i read this right the EMT- I class is every other saturday and sunday. and the state final passing grade the same as EMT 70 or better or is it higher

Unless there's been a major shift in policy in the last two years, the minimum grade to pass a DOH EMS exam is 70 - at all levels (CFR through EMT-P).

Forget EMS. Go to nursing or PA school. That includes Paramedic- a year (or more) of school for $20 an hour. Stay in, or go to real school and get a job that rewards you for what you do.

im going to school for a degree in criminal justice but i find ems intresting and i enjoy doing it so why would i forget about it i have no intrest in nursing what so ever because i hate indoor jobs i would rather be out there in the field than in a hospital or doctors office seeing the same typeof thing day in and day out and dealing with the same exact pt. every day i just cant do that i love working in the field as an emt and a volunteer firefighter so why would i trade this up for something like an office job or a nursing job im trying to pursue careers in firefighting or law enforcment

im going to school for a degree in criminal justice but i find ems intresting and i enjoy doing it so why would i forget about it i have no intrest in nursing what so ever because i hate indoor jobs i would rather be out there in the field than in a hospital or doctors office seeing the same typeof thing day in and day out and dealing with the same exact pt. every day i just cant do that i love working in the field as an emt and a volunteer firefighter so why would i trade this up for something like an office job or a nursing job im trying to pursue careers in firefighting or law enforcment

MW: Just a bit of experienced advice...if your not on the job..find a parallel to do in college while you wait on a list. Depending on where you are that CJ degree isn't going to help you get hired unless you have college credit requirements and then I still recommend people I come into contact with to get a degree in anything but fire science or CJ. Anything you can do while you try to get hired or use while on the job for extra income is a plus. Not preaching but a good friend on the job told me that years ago and its helped me in both sides of the degree fence. Hence I'm working on my Bachelor's in Education.

EMT-I as stated is a good course if you are going to be able to utilize your skills. To be honest I really haven't had any "I's" that have had to start care in my region prior to any of our arrivals that I know of. To me this is a bit better in upstate regions for airway management at a least. But otherwise...it still is always BLS before ALS and awesome BLS always wins. Saline doesn't save lives.

The EMT-I class will definetly provide you with more knowledge. I was an EMT-I for 6yrs with Peekskill Vac who was at one time an ILS agency and the Peekskll/Cortlandt Paramadics would let the EMT-I start IV's and things to that nature. As time went on the paramedics started doing things on there own. Peekskill eventually lost there ILS status due to the lack of EMT-I still practiceing.

This past recert I let my intermediate status go and just recerted as an EMT-B. The only advice I can give someone is it is worth doing if you can use your skills, if you can't its not worth it.

Don't waste your time or money. If you want to advance your knowledge and are serious about being in EMS for any extended amount of time just sign up for and take a paramedic course. As an EMT-I your going to operate as a B in 99.9% of the Hudson Valley. Sure it's cool to know how to tube a patient or start IVs but your pissing money away because your never going to be able to get your hands dirty in the field. Like i said, if your serious about this just go for your paramedic.

So what was I doing for the past 12 years there Goose? Listen, everybody has good advise and points. The I course was very good for me and I used it. Yes for the job. It also made a big diff when I went for my medic. Chris I never heard you complain, I got alot of thumbs for you. In short it s great training and you can get the skills down. Which will give youa heads up on medic school. What ever you do good luck, & never forget where you came from.

im serious about it but i have a full ride to a 4 year school that doesnt offer the medic course so im not going to able too to take the medic class until after i get out of college so i was thinking the EMT-I would be a good start towards the medic class

Why not just put the time you'd be spending in an I program towards the classes for a paramedic program?

So what was I doing for the past 12 years there Goose? Listen, everybody has good advise and points. The I course was very good for me and I used it. Yes for the job. It also made a big diff when I went for my medic. Chris I never heard you complain, I got alot of thumbs for you. In short it s great training and you can get the skills down. Which will give youa heads up on medic school. What ever you do good luck, & never forget where you came from.

Come on man, you know that in 99.9% of agencies in the Hudson Valley EMT-Is are not recognized. I know MLSS recognizes them, other than that maybe Empress or Regional? It's one thing if your partner lets you start a line or grab a tube but officially your not going to be doing a whole lot, unless you move way upstate.

As for the OP, dude stay in school and get a 4 year degree. It's going to take you farther than EMS ever will. I love my job and i love the people that i work with but EMS is a fractured system. If a family is what you look froward to, then i can tell you first hand that working two and three, in my case 4, jobs is going to take its toll on you. I've missed holidays and family events that can't ever be replaced. Either way, you NEED to get your 4 year degree. It is SO SO SO important you do that.

yea i definatley have every intention of getting the 4 year degree im just intrested in ems and i would like to have the medic certification for the time being im looking for a paid ems job so i have spending money through college and i enjoy doing it volunteer

We're actually starting up an EMT-I class in the fall. One of the motivating factors for a few of the students is pay. Some of the students are police officers for a particular agency and they get annual salary bonuses for the various levels of EMT (EMT, I, and P). Lets say the bonus for EMT is something like $4000, EMT-I is $6000 and EMT-P is $8000. It is more feasible for them to take the EMT-I class, get the extra 2k a year over EMT, but not have to dedicate a year of schooling for the Medic class. :)