Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

NYPD question

35 posts in this topic

Actually the CRV is a good thing on one hand but it is extremely bad on another. The Show of force and the response is a good thing for the public to see however, the CRV drill is severely flawed as well. Anyone and everyone who has gone through EVOC knows the 2 words "DUE CARE." Having all of those RMP's flying up and down and across the city not stopping for reds ad higher rates of speed causes problems. For example if one of those RMP's lost control and hit a pedestrian the first question is going to be is "Where was the emergency?" That leaves the city and the everyone else involved swinging in the wind. So, is it a good thing, yes absolutely. Is it also a disaster waiting to happen, I sure hope not but the answer to that is yes too.

Actually the CRV is a good thing on one hand but it is extremely bad on another. The Show of force and the response is a good thing for the public to see however, the CRV drill is severely flawed as well. Anyone and everyone who has gone through EVOC knows the 2 words "DUE CARE." Having all of those RMP's flying up and down and across the city not stopping for reds ad higher rates of speed causes problems. For example if one of those RMP's lost control and hit a pedestrian the first question is going to be is "Where was the emergency?" That leaves the city and the everyone else involved swinging in the wind. So, is it a good thing, yes absolutely. Is it also a disaster waiting to happen, I sure hope not but the answer to that is yes too.

In all the exercises that I've seen, they're not blowing red lights or traveling at high rates of speed. Many times they have traffic agents secure intersections for them when possible.

The law does say "due regard" and I'm sure the city has reviewed the policy with City Counsel and made a determination that this is an emergency operation or otherwise within the limits of the law. NYC and most other municipalities are very liability conscious and wouldn't leave themselves open to such problems.

The Surge Drills that I saw in the Bronx last summer had the officers with L&S blowing red lights but not traveling at high rates of speed at all. The first few times I saw the line of patrol cars I would usually think that there was a raid going down but then I realized that they would not be driving in circles and going to slow for it to be a raid

As much as I think these drills are a massive waste, the officers involved perform them in a very safe manner. Intersections are well controlled no one races through anything. On the highways these guys only do the speed that everyone should be doing.

Chris

I speak from experience. Been in both the operator and recorder seats for drills, it is unsafe. In midtown they have agents once you get out of the main muster area it's b@ll$ to the wall and no stopping with no safety precautions taken. In fact I got threatened with a CD cause I was slowing down at red lights and using Due Care.