Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

California Man Arrested for Setting Own Backfire

11 posts in this topic

ERIC BAILEY and DEBORAH SCHOCH

Los Angeles Times

As flames swirled toward their family homestead, the Curtis brothers figured they'd get no help and had no choice: The only way to hold on to their 55-acre compound would be to fight fire with fire.

In the end, the controlled burn they set helped save the homes on their beloved Apple Pie Ridge -- but not without major consequences

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...amp;sectionId=4

not sure where I stand on this issue....he used to be a seasonal wildland firefighter, so I guess he sort of knew what he was doing, but it still brings up major controversy.

He'll get a slap on the wrist.

This reminds me of when a neighbor or and off-duty FF runs into a building and makes a save before the department arrives. The fact that he did end up saving his property makes it ok in this situation, but I know how we would all be feeling if this backfire had gone bad and killed those in the compound or crews fighting other fires. It's just one of those situations where you can't really blame him because he had done it before and it did go well, but if it didnt...

How dare they save their property and the property of others.

Some people have nerve.

desperate times...you gotta do what you gotta do

I have mixed feelings on this situation also. Slayer61 makes a good comparison with the neighbors or non-responders going in burning houses to save people. It could end very badly. However, in this case the scale of the potential consequences is very significant - entire communities and fire crews could be endangered if the backfire spread out of control. Any response that seems to condone it is begging for trouble as other people, not so lucky (or competent), start setting fire to their own back yards. Still, the praise from the firefighters on the scene tells the real story. This is a lot like that guy last year who had his own pumper and protected his neighborhood during another one of these fires - or even all those people in the midwest helping out with the flood rescues and levy repairs.

Edited by Doc

In this case, I side with the homeowner. If he didn't know what he was doing, well, that would be another story, but I condone his actions.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

It's not arson here... he set a backfire!

What he burned was going to be burned by the approaching wildfire anyway. What exactly then gives one the "right" EVER to set a backfire.... oh here I go again on our oversized, grossly unconstitutional government.

Wasnt it gonna all burn anyways? Kudos for this guy on saving the day and he should thank his good luck fairies.

Did he only backburn what was on his land or did he just do a burn on the land near his property?

If he burned other people land thats an issue but if it was only on his land then what prevents him from doing so and why would he get arrested for doing so?

Did he only backburn what was on his land or did he just do a burn on the land near his property?

If he burned other people land thats an issue but if it was only on his land then what prevents him from doing so and why would he get arrested for doing so.

My thoughts exactly....if it was on his property then to hell with the state. They didn't even want to try and save his ridge then why not try yourself.