Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DES630

Bronx Zoo Rescue

5 posts in this topic

NEW YORK (AP) -- A sightseeing cable car system at the Bronx Zoo abruptly shut down Wednesday when one of its gondolas went slightly out of alignment, stranding dozens of people high above habitats for baboons and other animals.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NY_...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

This was just on the 10pm news and apprently FDNY is still trying to rescue people from the cable cars stuck in the air.

Edited by DES630

11 pm news said everyone has been rescued & the car is also back in service

forget that... stuck above animals, in that hot humid car with people you dont know (and you know there has to be 3 different languages bein spoken)?? ugh i woulda jumped..

ESU was first on scene for this and they climbed one of the towers of the tram in order to ascertain the problem. ESU requested a crane from Long Island City and began to remove people from several of the cars. The tram was fixed and everyone else was removed via the working tram. FD didn't have much of a hand in this one.

Bronx Zoo Tram Rescue

I have had the distinct pleasure of both meeting the guys on the "First Due to the Zoo" at Engine 88/Ladder 38 and working at the zoo(as a keeper).

I am sure that the guys on the first due did an amazing job given the unique situation/incident in-which they were faced. They are a great bunch of guys and they are always work well in and around the unique area that Fordham is.

As far as the animals, as soon as the keepers found out that the tram was stuck and the people needed to be rescued, they would have send the animals into their cages. The animals there are all very begin as they have all been habituated to living in the South Bronx and I have the data and research to prove it.

Edited by bvfdjc316