Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

NYPD'S Parking Perk Bliitz Bags 1,000 Cops

15 posts in this topic

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07102008/news/...cops_119266.htm

An NYPD crackdown on illegally parked cars boldly sporting city, state and federal placards on their dashboards has resulted in 2,400 summonses - more than 1,000 of them issued to city cops and detectives, The Post has learned.

Over the last three months, special teams of Internal Affairs officers have scoured congested streets in lower Manhattan and around government hubs in outer boroughs, searching for vehicles whose drivers abuse their parking-placard perks and slapping tickets on 2,488 cars.

Topping the list of offenders were New York's Finest, hit with 1,053 summonses for leaving their cars in crosswalks, near hydrants or bus stops or in "no standing" zones, mostly around courthouses and station houses.

Just one of many reasons why there should be a citywide shutdown... no summonses, no arrests, let the precincts go into backlog.... the city sure doesn't care about its Police Department.... why should the members of its Police Department go out of their way for a city that looks to screw them every chance it gets...

Just one of many reasons why there should be a citywide shutdown... no summonses, no arrests, let the precincts go into backlog.... the city sure doesn't care about its Police Department.... why should the members of its Police Department go out of their way for a city that looks to screw them every chance it gets...

I'm Very supportive of the NYPD, but no way should there be a citywide shutdown. If there was, they should all be fired. No offence, the same way I cant park infront of a firehydrant, crosswalk, bus stop, etc when I'm on duty with the fire dept or EMS, Police should not be afforded those privilages either. If its a safety issue for the public to park in those spots, then its a safety issue for anyone. If they cant deal then they should seek other means of transportation such as public transportation, the same way everyone else has to. I feel their pain with salary etc; im part of emergency services too, but at the end of the day whats right is right and you cant be parking in crosswalks, bus stops, ifo fire hydrants etc.

If the city provided parking for its employees, this probably wouldn't be a problem. I'm glad there is so little for IAB to do that they can go around doing the job of a "brownie"!

I work in Mid-Town, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

It isnt just the NYPD that needs policing of the placards. The city should be looking at all the agencies issuing placards, including the diplomatic parking. Most of these people think it is a free ride to park wherever and whenever they want.. I have seen cars not only at hydrants, but bus stops, and even parked on the curbs.. "You improperly park, you loose the placard"

Parking is contractually granted to the FDNY. As for PD I am not sure. EMS gets no parking, if they are lucky they get lots, but no zones. People are using their jealousy once again to lead them in this crusade. Go work in a job that could care less about you in some of the hardest places to reach in the City. Someone said use mass transit. PD rides for free, no one else. Of course most token both operators will not deny you, its still not guaranteed. When you work hard for 8, 10, 12, 24 hours the last thing you want to do is get on the subway or a bus, when you can take your car straight there. We (PD/FD) are not adding to the congestion of Manhattan. We do not drive around, we park and go into work. All of us start at times that usually do not interfere with normal traffic as both the employee and the boss' thought that far ahead! I do have no pity for those that park in Hydrants, but if you cant walk around a crosswalk, or another 5 feet to a bus stop, you need to eat less and walk more!

Parking is contractually granted to the FDNY. As for PD I am not sure. EMS gets no parking, if they are lucky they get lots, but no zones. People are using their jealousy once again to lead them in this crusade. Go work in a job that could care less about you in some of the hardest places to reach in the City. Someone said use mass transit. PD rides for free, no one else. Of course most token both operators will not deny you, its still not guaranteed. When you work hard for 8, 10, 12, 24 hours the last thing you want to do is get on the subway or a bus, when you can take your car straight there. We (PD/FD) are not adding to the congestion of Manhattan. We do not drive around, we park and go into work. All of us start at times that usually do not interfere with normal traffic as both the employee and the boss' thought that far ahead! I do have no pity for those that park in Hydrants, but if you cant walk around a crosswalk, or another 5 feet to a bus stop, you need to eat less and walk more!

I'm on the same page with you but I dont think it comes down to jealousy. If there is a law that states you cannot park infront of a hydrant, in a cross walk, in a bus stop, then that applies to everyone, police included. We all work hard - the police, fire, ems, con edison, janitors, wall street workers, nurses etc. No one wants to get in a train at the end of their hard day - we would all rather take a car. But you know what - I dont want a child walking around the crosswalk and getting hit by a car, or a handicapped person in a wheelchair, b/c some police or fire or ems worker feels their entitled to park there. Sorry - that doesnt fly. Again, you know the situation when you decided to become a cop, fireman, ems worker. The law is good for all parties and if the starbucks employee working hard to pay for college cant park in the cross walk, then the police officer trying to support his family cant either. Thats just the way it is. I take public transportation to the city - I dont complain and try to get a parking plackard (and yes I am entitled to one). I dont park in cross walks etc. And yes, Id much rather get in my car at the end of a hard shift.

To a point, I agree with the theory that with staggered shifts it is just easier to jump in the car and go, but let's be realistic here, NYC is not the most space friendly place to drive or park cars. That's why they stress mass transit. It wouldn't hurt some of these folks to use the train, bus or subway just like every other tom, dick and harry that works in Manhattan. Granted there will be exceptions and those exceptions should learn to park legally in lower Manhattan or whereever. If it means walking a block and a half, so be it. Parking in front of or near fire hydrants, crosswalks or any other area where your average joe would get a ticket should not be allowed at all, period.

I'm Very supportive of the NYPD, but no way should there be a citywide shutdown. If there was, they should all be fired.

There should be a citywide shutdown for numerous reasons.... not just the parking nonsense...

I'm with you on that one JJB. Of all the issues within the city, Chris hit it...this is what you spend your time on?

I know of precincts where you could come in at the beginning of the tour prior and drive around and not find a spot to park for your tour. Then again there are those where they can't find spots to park the various vehicles assigned to the precinct making some junk yards look more organized.

Mind boggling!...this is what IAB has time to focus on? Issuing the summonses was the least time consuming, of this matter, when you consider how many reports etc. were probably generated in order for IAB to undertake the task of illegal parkers. Its easier for Kelly to send his rats out to target his own people, because, no P.O. in his right mind is going to make a complaint of harrasment etc. against the very people whom are going to sit in judgement of them. If you don't think NYPD Officers were targeted-then why was IAB tasked with this assignment? Could you imagine the political fallout if religous folk, the U.N., or any other poltically powerful group were handed hundreds of tickets? Bloomy wouldn't stand for it..not for a second. MV summonses are discretionary for many reasons (sans hydrants). Sure, the argument could be made that P.O.'s should take mass transit to and fro, but, they should then be compensated under the FLSA for travel time accordingly. Any crime that occurs while enroute to and from work must be addressed by the P.O.'s taking mass transit. There is no discretion in those matters. However most guys would prefer to be in the comfort of there four wheels most notably for safety reasons while traveling. We encounter hundreds of nasties on a daily basis who can readily identify us in a crowd, but, we aren't always able to place the face until its too late. I have had it happen to me several times during my career and its a daunting experience to say the least. In the end.. the complaint isn't about being sanctioned for an infraction its about being targeted as an scapegoat. But I am sure this is just another way of Bloomy/Kelly trying to implement their morale boosting plan.

Its not just bus stops, hydrants and crosswalks. My old command parked on the same street as the NY Times, and were were told in writing that we (NYPD) were not allowed to park on their side of the street, or our cars would be towed regardless if the plaque was in the window or not. Then the DOT took away our parking when construction started on a new high rise condo/hotel.

In the current bargaining for a contract the city has placed a demand that we pay for a privilige to park in NYC, I know they have made that demand before, so it is something they are looking at.

To a point, I agree with the theory that with staggered shifts it is just easier to jump in the car and go, but let's be realistic here, NYC is not the most space friendly place to drive or park cars. That's why they stress mass transit. It wouldn't hurt some of these folks to use the train, bus or subway just like every other tom, dick and harry that works in Manhattan. Granted there will be exceptions and those exceptions should learn to park legally in lower Manhattan or whereever. If it means walking a block and a half, so be it. Parking in front of or near fire hydrants, crosswalks or any other area where your average joe would get a ticket should not be allowed at all, period.

In theory taking mass transit is a great idea. Practically speaking, there are a great many problems with it. First, as JCESU points out, there are FLSA issues associated with travel and the potential to encounter an incident requiring action (aided case, crime in progress, crime in past requiring a report).

Next, the hours are not conducive to mass transit. If a cop is working 1600-2400 and catches a late job or arrest, he may miss the last train out of GCT to home - cause let's face it, most cops don't live in the city. Working midnights, or 0600-1800 or 1800-0200 you may have to catch a train 3 hours prior to your tour to be on time since off-peak is so inconsistent. Then there'd be the subway ride to the precinct. That's a long commute on top of a long work day...

As for hydrants, obviously nobody should be parking there.

Pity the city dumps on its public safety force like this! "Pay for the privilege to park there"? That's great considering you're still the lowest paid PD in the region.

25,000 a year

Comstat

Thankless job

No ez pass discounts for pd and fd

Now the city provides no parking and if you are late you loose a vacation day because of no parking or recieve a summons.

Come on give me a break.................

HOW ABOUT COLLECTING THE MILLIONS IN OWED MONEY FROM THESE DIPLOMATS WHO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT.......

They're trying to collect, but the embassy usually just tells the city to go screw.