Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

FDNY Marine Division - "Smoke II"

13 posts in this topic

I just learned that SMOKE II the 1958 fire boat was removed from service after 50 great years of service to the FDNY and the people of the city of NEW YORK on july 15. What SHOCKS me is it going to be sunk as a reef off of NEW JERSEY. This boat played a important part on 9/11 and rescued many including the chief of the marine divison. This boat deserves a better fate then that, like maybe next to INTREPED when she returns. :angry:

Thanks truck 4 for the great photo of SMOKE II. Whats next the FIREFIGHTER OH :o GOD

Thanks truck 4 for the great photo of SMOKE II. Whats next the FIREFIGHTER OH :o GOD

If you're going to save a Marine unit's boat, I wouldn't have it be the Smoke II. The McKeane is the nicest vessel in the fleet today.

As for the Firefighter, yes, if all goes according to plan she'll be OOS within a couple of years. The relacement will be a new 140' vessel.

A little off topic but how are the FDNY fire boats staffed? Is there a dedicated crew on duty or is man power called from other stations?

There's an officer, a pilot, two engineers, and what are known as wipers. I'm not sure what the total staffing is. If they need manpower, they are augmented as follows.

Marine 1:E-24 or E-10

Marine 6:E-210

Marine 9:E-152

Also the Firefighter is a historic boat. It's probably going to be preserved in one way or another after it is retired from service.

What Kind of Boat are there replacing the FireFighter With ?

There are two boats being built right now by the same company that built LA City's FB 2

I thought i heard one time that FDNY was geting one like LA any one know if that is true????

With all of the Fire Departments that need equipment so bad you would think the

City of New York would offer it to another Fire Department before they junk it (sink it)

VERY SAD!

Anyone have SCUBA gear? Once they sink it lets get it up, refurb it,

and put into service EMTBravo River Rescue! lol

City of New York would offer it to another Fire Department before they junk it (sink it)

VERY SAD!

Not sure if we could afford the marine gas for it though. :lol:

Mike

VERY SAD!

By all accounts, the Smoke II requires a GREAT deal of work just to get it together for the annual blessing of the fleet. It's done, and obviously the powers that be feel she's not suited for anything other than a second life as an artificial reef.