Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

FDNY- Something New

9 posts in this topic

I have absolutely no idea what this rig is for. Same goes for the Incident Management Team vehicle over at E-262.

I looked at the other pic at onthejobny.com and I still don't see what the mast is designed to do. Lighting? Satellite Comm's? Wind up key? Can anyone shed some light?

The all-knowing tbendick (who turns 30 tomorrow!!!!!) can explain better, but it's sort of the FDNY's TARU. They have wireless video capability and the mast has a camera system on it.

I was leaning more towards JCESU's idea -- Windup key, but it isn't a VW....

Seems like this stuff should be in the Field Comm unit or Mobile Command, but what do I know?

Its parked at Metro Tech. Its basically an ambulance thats been converted into a mobile tv truck. It can transmit either via satellite or over LMR frequencies. It also has an MDT and the usual boro radios as well as HT recorders. Its staffed by one guy and I think it goes on 3rds and higher. The IMT is the Incident Management Team which is a bunch of Chiefs that were trained by the Wildland Ops at either the NFA or out West, its useless in NYC cause we have OEM, but yet they need to justify it.

It was described to me as a pet project of one of the higher ups of the IMT. Similar vehicles are used out west to expand the reach of their mobile comm units, so say all of SI were on on fire these would be scattered around the incident to facilitate a more comprehensive image f the incident. They allegedly have direct access to streaming video from media helicopters and NYPD Aviation up over incidents all accessible through OEM. Plus the BC up with aviation. How does a 20' camera mast compare?