Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moggie6

Turnout Gear Color

6 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find some information on Turnout Gear Color. I need to know what color people have had in their turnout gear and how it last. For example I have had black gear for quite sometime. It's been in fire, it's been dirty, it's been washed, and it still looks the same. When I started out I had yellow gear. After the a few fires and some washes the gear looked dirty no matter what because it was "stained". The tan gear I have seen looks like it stains as well. Any thoughts comments concerns?

You answered your own question. Black is more expensive than yellow and yellow is more expensive than tan. Not sure how you do your semi annual gear cleaning but it wont matter what color you get guys will always try to keep it dirty so they look 'salty'.

Well I work in Fairview so someone will clean my gear, I don't need to worry about semi-annual cleaning, if I sneeze on it someone cleans it if I like it or not.

What is the material? The material plays a big part of that. Example a "Gold Pbi" is the natural color so it won't change as much as black Pbi that is dyed. Some materials have better color fastness or are affected by die sublimation less. Furthermore just because it is Pbi does not mean it is manufactured by Pbi Performance Products Inc. It maybe made by some one else under lisencing agreements with a twist in the recipe. Anyone responding I hope will state the color, material & weight (oz/yd) because these facts will help the brother draw good conclusions. Maybe mention your number of washes per year, storage practices and number on contaminations. I wouldn't mention brand of gear as it draws conclusions and could make someone look silly.

Its not so much the shell that wears out but the vapor barrier underneath. After 10 years it must be replaced and that has nothing to do with color. Amount of use, and protection of that vital vapor and thermal barrier are what keeps a garment in service. Call any one of the manufacturers and ask them if any particular color lasts longer, I doubt you will get a response different than no more than 10 years. Its all a matter of if its clean or not as to if it looks 'good'.

Edited by roofsopen

I think a little bit off target as color fastness does vary material to material but totally accurate. The moisture barrier is the part of the garment that deteriorates and most people don't realize this. Use the analogy of a tire. The tread is the shell and the side wall is the moisture & thermal barriers. Your tire tread may be in great shape with 100,000 miles but the side walls are shot making them unsafe. Turnout gear manufactures have for years been actually saying the useful life span is < 10 yrs for structural firefighting. In reality NFPA put in place the 1851 Standard because some fire depts just don't take care of their stuff or even take the time to inspect it.