Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joetnymedic

I don't think the patients or I would be comfortable with this

14 posts in this topic

I think it's a great idea. Nothing wrong with treating the emotional side of medical emergencies.

I can see it now...

"60 Control to XVAC, 3rd request for an EMT and a Chaplain..."

Our FD chaplain in dobbs ferry was given a pager jacket n white helmet and he used to ride with us to all calls he could make. It was always good to have him around especially at fire scenes to comfort family members.

Edited by ENG47INE

I understand the reasoning for this, and I know that many of us in the profession are religious, but I don't think this is the proper way to go about this at all.

I think this falls along the lines of right church, wrong pew. While a chaplain may be able to address the spiritual and emotional needs of responders and at times the public, they should not be on the ambulance. I think it could cause a large deal of discomfort, especially if you come from a religiously diverse community. If there is one of this incidents like they described in the article, there is no reason a fire department chaplain cannot be called to the scene for emotional support for both responders and families, if they choose to utilize the resource.

Is it a good idea...yes. Is it a needed service...yes. Is it a service that I've had families request...yes and one that the first time it ever happened I had to go through the hospital to find the numbers for and I have to say it did really assist the family with the grieving process. Is the thought of having them on every call a bit overkill...yes. However again its an article and I honestly don't believe they will be on every call being there is only 4 of them, but we've had the chaplain concept for numerous years in the fire service and are integral with assisting families and ourselves if the need arises for any concept.

All I know is anytime I've had a priest on a scene they always want to bless someone and in a few cases some more drastic where for me everything is about tempo and moving along...I've said to them...father...they don't need that quite yet. I've wanted to say..father if I wait for you to finish that any longer and they might need more then that.

Why don't they keep them back at quarters? They have 4 chaplains volunteering for the position, keep them on a 4 day 24 hour rotation give them a car with lights and a siren and then you can special call them. Why do you need a chaplian at a call for a kid who broke his leg playing football? Have him automaticly respond to calls such as serious MVAs, Cardiac Arrests, fires, the more serious calls. Thats just more room being taken up on an already tight ambulance. I'm not saying having a Chaplain is a bad idea, but I think they can find a better place for them on the scene of an incident.

Our chaplain is a FF/EMT

Although I'm not very religious, which is kind of sad being a former altar boy and all, I think the chaplains are better left in quarters, or responding to the scene when the IC feels the need. No need to have one riding in the ambulance unless they are in there getting their hands dirty treating a patient.

You can always go to the chaplain for counseling/confession after you get back.

It is a nice idea to have clergy available to crews if they feel the need. It is better if the clergy have clue what we do. But what happens if the clergy becomes a statisic? Having been there, done that call, I feel like crap evedry time I see that clergy; I see the PTSD symtoms: the shakes, the tremor in the voice & the down casrt eyes. Not everyone is called to EMS/PD/Fire service, perhaps the Padre should be left in the ambulance bay unless they feel they can handle it. Even then, who knows. This one thought he could ... .

As long as they do not do it on ab ambulance that is not tax payer funded then there is nothing with it as long as the clergy member wont be there doing nothing sitting on their hands.

I understand the reasoning for this, and I know that many of us in the profession are religious, but I don't think this is the proper way to go about this at all.

You said it! +1