Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joetnymedic

Emergency Paramedic Intercepts not welcome at church

32 posts in this topic

Sorry to correct you pjm, but public safety workers, including EMS, have the right to park on private property in an emergency situation. In common law, it was called "public necessity" in which the property owner had no right to recover monetary damages, nor criminal recourse.

Here, the ambulance company can choose to honor the request of the church; but if the intercept is needed in an emergency, there really isn't much the church can do.

That's not 100% correct.

In NYS at least (I know little of Conn. Law), Emergency responders can only traverse private property without permission if there is an emergency on that property OR if the only feasible access to an emergency scene means having to enter private property.

i.e. A plane crashed in someones yard, PD/EMS/Fire may enter the property even if the property owner objects OR the plane has crashed in a location wherein the ONLY FEASIBLE access to the crash site involves entering private property, even if the owner objects.

In the Church scenario, there is really no law or case law in NYS giving EMS the absolute right to enter that property for the sole purpose of an intercept. Connecticiut Law may address this, I don't know.

helicopper likes this

That's not 100% correct.

In NYS at least (I know little of Conn. Law), Emergency responders can only traverse private property without permission if there is an emergency on that property OR if the only feasible access to an emergency scene means having to enter private property.

i.e. A plane crashed in someones yard, PD/EMS/Fire may enter the property even if the property owner objects OR the plane has crashed in a location wherein the ONLY FEASIBLE access to the crash site involves entering private property, even if the owner objects.

In the Church scenario, there is really no law or case law in NYS giving EMS the absolute right to enter that property for the sole purpose of an intercept. Connecticiut Law may address this, I don't know.

I don't care what the law says as a FORMER parishoner I think he was a TOTAL JERK!! I and my money will now go elsewhere and if every volunteer in waterford did the same thing, he would change his tune awfully fast. I know it won't happen but that's my two cents!!