Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stephen morea

Town Of Newburgh's New Ambulances

11 posts in this topic

I see that the town of newburgh ambulance corps recently purchased 2 new ambulances and cornwall's old fly car. These can be seen on there website, www.tonvac.org on vehicles page, on 2008 new fleet link. my question is where did the 2 old ambulances and old ford expedition fly car go, (if anywhere) now that these 3 vehicles are now in service? I asked this question on another site but no one replyed so I figured this would be the next best place to go seeing as how there is an orange/rockland page. thank you for your time, steve.

I'll give you my best guess, but don't take it for fact. Some of it is second hand info.

Apparently, they came into some money, hence the 2 new ambulances. At least one of the old ones was sold and I believe they still have the other.

The Expedition they used to have as a fly car went a long time ago. That I could never figure out. They got it, decked it all out with lights, etc. then it sat in the back parking lot for about a year or so. I know at one point it sat long enough for the tires to go flat. Then one day I see them stripping all the lights off and it disappears.

All the toys in the world won't do any good though if you can't get out the door.

Alright, I'll stop here before I get going on them.

Well, I know now they contract for an EMT from Mobile Life so you know at least one of their rigs will always get out the door. And I will ask one of my friends who works the town vac what the deal is with these new rigs....

Well, I know now they contract for an EMT from Mobile Life so you know at least one of their rigs will always get out the door. And I will ask one of my friends who works the town vac what the deal is with these new rigs....

They have had MLSS in there for a few years. They wear the TONVAC uniform though so people won't know.

This, I believe, is 6a - 6p M-F. So it is only 6p - 6a and weekends that you have to wonder who is going to show. Also, they only staff the first crew. If they are out on a call, we often have to wait for New Windsor.

I will say though, that they are much better than they were 10 years ago when they were on the verge of shutting down.

Edited by 50-65

dident see the fly car on the site

dident see the fly car on the site

nice buses, and you have to go to gallary and click on 2008 fleet

starting in a week or 2 mlss will be staffing a full crrew on weekends as well

If they have the $$ to do that, why don't they just pay their own crews?

If they have the $ to do that, why don't they just pay their own crews?

There is a whole different world of paperwork once you become an employer. Not to mention having to actually do the scheduling, etc. I think that writing a check to an outside agency to provide the EMT's and forgetting about it is a lot less headache. If someone calls in sick at 4 in the morning, it's MLSS's problem to get someone to cover the town, not TONVAC's.

As far as the other person who mentioned the "first response" vehicle being in Poughkeepsie, that is the Captain's vehicle, not a first response flycar. The fact that it's in Poughkeepsie is an individual operational choice of the agency to let her take it to work. I would rather have the car with a Captain that I know responds to calls and does her job as captain than to use it as a flycar and allow 4 kids to drive it around to calls with a driver and an EMT and leave the ambulance sitting in quarters. I've seen the flycar/clown car problem with other EMS agencies and I'm personally not in favor of having them.

TONVAC has had day crews from MLSS for almost 6 years.They do not hide the fact,the town and the its politians are fully aware of the situation.

They from what I understand have restructured their organization.I think there is a a good sign to see new ambulances and an operational fly car.

OCC EMS stats list TONVAC as responding to aprox 2700 calls a year. I all also understand that they have been covering over 90% of their calls. Not bad for an agency that has such high volume and area such a large of responce.