Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M' Ave

Field Training for Probies

8 posts in this topic

Probies at "The Rock" will work day tours for a week straight in a 10-14 engine (4 FF, so one open seat on the back step). They will not do see any fire duty and only be allowed into a structure once the incident is declared under control. They will learn A.F.I.D. and house related chores as well.

Interesting plan.

Probies at "The Rock" will work day tours for a week straight in a 10-14 engine (4 FF, so one open seat on the back step). They will not do see any fire duty and only be allowed into a structure once the incident is declared under control. They will learn A.F.I.D. and house related chores as well.

Interesting plan.

I think they are running out of things for them to do over 6 months. I was there today and the probies were out landscaping, I sh-t you not!

I think they are running out of things for them to do over 6 months. I was there today and the probies were out landscaping, I sh-t you not!

I don't think that's all too new. Either way, it seems like they are spending a great deal of time tinkering with the schedule in this 23 week academy. I think this sounds like a good plan. Let them get some real world firehouse experience as part of the training. They won't be on the chart. They'll just be like a buff for the week......a buff that'll clean a lot of pots and pans! ;)

I really dont understand y the FDNY needs to train its probies for 6 months at the Rock. Unless you are an officer, firefighting is a pretty intellectualy simple activity. Put the wet stuff on the red stuff, break some windows and cut some holes to vent the smoke and steam, and follow the orders of your officers and the ic. Its all monkey skills, and it doesnt take 6 months to teach anyone that. The task could be acomplished in half the time you would be able to put twice as many classes through the accadamy in a year. And eliminate wasted funding on having probies doing landscaping and painting curbs.

The Probies are going out alphabetically to selected 4 man engines for 1 week, work 9 til 5 5days. Then next group goes and so on.Starts week of Oct. 6 thru 10, then i assume the 13 thru 17. Have a list of what they can and cannot do, but it should be a good experience for them to see routine and training in field. I think they have made Probie school way to long and have difficulty in last weeks to fill time.JMO

Edited by Mac8146

I don't know the full details of this latest twist on field training, but it seems to fall in line with the 14 week field training from back in 2001. There have been many variations through the years, 30 day rotations from engine to ladder and vice versa, 1 and 2 year rotations (A company, B company, C company). When my father got on the job in 1959, they went to the academy during the week and then on Saturday nights they were assigned to the engine company closest to where they lived.

The Probies are going out alphabetically to selected 4 man engines for 1 week, work 9 til 5 5days. Then next group goes and so on.Starts week of Oct. 6 thru 10, then i assume the 13 thru 17. Have a list of what they can and cannot do, but it should be a good experience for them to see routine and training in field. I think they have made Probie school way to long and have difficulty in last weeks to fill time.JMO

The day you speak of was a day the majority of the probie class was at Ft. Totten for a state CFR-D exam. The probies that did not take the test for whatever reason had to report to The Rock and subsequently were assigned various projects including some landscaping.

I really dont understand y the FDNY needs to train its probies for 6 months at the Rock. Unless you are an officer, firefighting is a pretty intellectualy simple activity. Put the wet stuff on the red stuff, break some windows and cut some holes to vent the smoke and steam, and follow the orders of your officers and the ic. Its all monkey skills, and it doesnt take 6 months to teach anyone that. The task could be acomplished in half the time you would be able to put twice as many classes through the accadamy in a year. And eliminate wasted funding on having probies doing landscaping and painting curbs.

This is an incredibly acute response and I'm not sure what qualifies you to make such an observation. Are the basics easy? Of course they are. Cut holes, spray water, search room and others. This, however, is not what makes up the bulk of academy training time. Knowing the positions in the FDNY, ESPECIALLY a truck co. is challenging and is what allows our job to move VERY quickly. We have the good fortune of adequate staffing and can put it to use by having a highly coordinated attack. Like anything else, repetition makes for a smoother operation. When everyone on a line knows the best place to be, a 12 length stretch can be charged and bled in 2 minutes!

**Also, it's hard to "follow orders of your officers and the ic" when you're the OV man operating independently, or the control man hooking up to a standpipe and being responsible for getting the brothers water with no officer to tell you what they need. How much practice do you think a good roof man needs? There are so many building characteristics that can impact roof operations.

THe bottom line: Congratulations, your assessment of the job was about 10% complete.

All that being said, the academy is a bit on the long side, but it isn't saving the city money, nor is it much of a waste. If the probies didn't maintain The Rock in preparation for the next class then someone else would have to do it. It's not a bad way to learn some responsibility for the place you work.

Lastly, the ranks are flush, why do they need to put through more academy classes??