Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Westchester County Airport EMS?

4 posts in this topic

Just a quick question, who provides EMS to the Westchester County Airport? Do they have their own EMS Squad or is it just primarily handled by surround towns EMS agencies? Also wondering about the fire department, is there a Fire Brigade on site or protected through mutual aid departments only?

I know Port Chester -Rye - Rye Brook EMS responds to the Main Terminal & even gates and boarded aircrafts. I have never seen any EMS Squad. Not sure about Fire coverage other than the surrounding departments. Crash Trucks are up there I have no info on that.

EMS is handled by surrounding agencies. Crash/Rescue responsibilities fall upon the airport operations staff (members of IAFF local I-62, at least as of 2001 when I was last working there), with mutual aid dispatched as deemed necessary by the aiport supervisor on duty. A member of the airport operations staff serves as incident commander on all aircraft incidents occuring on the airport property. Structural & other types of fires are handled by surrounding mutual aid departments, with their departmental officers in charge of the incident. The airport crash/rescue trucks will sometimes make an intial/first response to the scene on these non-aircraft related incidents.

Edited by emt301

The airport lies in three different jurisdictions, Armonk, Harrison and Rye Brook. EMS is provided by the respective agency depending on where the aided case occurs. BLSFR/CPR-D is provided by the County PD who staff the airport 24/7.

Fire service is very similar to the EMS and the three jurisdictions provide additional fire service above and beyond the initial response by CFR units at the airport. The CFR units are staffed by airport operations personnel.