Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kpelley

Stamford Local 786 Wins Case Against Springdale Firehouse Cameras

10 posts in this topic

Local 786 won its case against the city and springdale. I will try to download decision.

On June 19, 2008, the Stamford Firefighters, Local 786, IAFF, AFL-CIO (the Union) filed a complaint with the Connecticut State Board of Labor Relations (the Labor Board) alleging that the City of Stamford (the City) violated § 7-470 of the Municipal Employee Relations Act (MERA or the Act) by installing an electronic surveillance system in the fire station located on Hope Street in Stamford.

http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/csblr/4345dec%20(2).doc

State orders cameras out of firehouse

Stamford Advocate

By Jeff Morganteen

Staff Writer

10/30/2008

STAMFORD - The state Board of Labor Relations has ordered the city to remove 15 surveillance cameras installed in the Springdale Fire Co. station on Hope Street....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_10852212?

Now comes the hard part for the CITY NOT THE UNION and that is to get their "agent of the city" Springdale to comply with the order....Can you say Court Ordered injunction!!!

That would be a first the city actually taking a volunteer department to court instead of the other way around!!!!!!!!

Camera dispute at Springdale firehouse settled

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

12/01/2008

STAMFORD - Representatives from the Springdale Fire Co. and the city told a judge on Monday they had reached an agreement on the placement and pending installation of several surveillance cameras in the Hope Street firehouse.

The agreement ends a dispute that began in January, when the paid firefighters' union filed a grievance about the cameras and also complained to the state labor board. Sixteen union firefighters operate out of the Springdale firehouse, which is run by volunteers. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11113118

How is this a win?

This is a win because we "the union" got what we wanted 11 months ago when this fiasco started. We had no problem with cameras in public areas of the firehouse but we didn't want them in the private area...i.e. lounge area, hallway leading to private sleeping quarters and bathrooms which I must say are also located behind our locked privtae area of the station.

So they gave in on trying to install the camers in those areas...So a WIN for 786

Plus our Labor Board award still stands as the Labor told Springdale to remove the unlawful cameras.

Now we all know they would eventually have been able to install the cameras after negotiating with us..which in essence they did just before the court hearing

Edited by REDDDOGG

This is a win because we "the union" got what we wanted 11 months ago when this fiasco started. We had no problem with cameras in public areas of the firehouse but we didn't want them in the private area...i.e. lounge area, hallway leading to private sleeping quarters and bathrooms which I must say are also located behind our locked privtae area of the station.

So they gave in on trying to install the camers in those areas...So a WIN for 786

Plus our Labor Board award still stands as the Labor told Springdale to remove the unlawful cameras.

Now we all know they would eventually have been able to install the cameras after negotiating with us..which in essence they did just before the court hearing

In that case, comgratulations!

Springdale firefighters agree to cameras in firehouse

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

12/02/2008

STAMFORD - Representatives of Springdale Fire Co. and the city told a judge Monday they had reached an agreement on the placement of surveillance cameras in the Hope Street firehouse. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11117494

I'm going to stick my neck out and be the first vollie to post on this topic...

Springdale Fire Chief Shawn Fahan said the cameras were meant to protect paid and volunteer firefighters after incidents of vandalism and theft.

Now congrats to the guys who have got the result they wanted and deserved in this dispute, I'm not taking anything away from that. But looking at the above quote... whether it's true or false it seems to me there's a far bigger problem than cameras being put in inappropriate places - that's just a symptom. Surveillance cameras in firehouses to spy on us??!! How have we come to this? I thought we were supposed to be able to trust each other, brothers and sisters? Has honour gone out the window?

Mike

Mike:

The issue has never been about security, rather survaillance (i.e. harassment).

To better understand the issue, you would have to look at the very turbulent history of the present Springdale Chief. Since the day he was "dusted-off" and brought back as Chief in 2002, he has sought to cause as much strife as possible within the Station.

Why would he chose to do so?

Simple, oust the City Fire Fighters and in turn, get a blank check from the City to hire his own Fire Fighters (want to guess who the first person that he would hire?).

Fortunately, every legal attempt by the Chief to exercise his plan has failed. He has wasted thousands of dollars and hours of time in an effort to see his plan through.

What is one to do after the legal system has shown him the door???? Harass the existing career Fire Fighters and see if they will demand a change in the relationship.

Security cameras in Fire Stations are nothing new. One could walk into almost any Community Fire Station and find a camera. I do not believe the Union's objection was ever to security.

The State Labor Board also had very little difficulty realizing the root of this case. In their decision, the Board easily identified a lack of substance with the Volunteer Fire Chief's Claims (this is nothing new) when attempting to argue why and where the cameras where placed. It was quite clear what the real motive was.

With respect to the opinions of previous posters about this topic, this case is a victory for no one.

The Fire Company wasted money on several cameras that they did not need. The Fire Company wasted even more money to fight a legal issue that they were told early on that they would lose. The Union spent more member's money to fight another example of harassment by a rogue Fire Chief. And worst of all, the Fire Fighters working in the Station, were once again, needlessly caught in the middle of this and forced to endure Mr. Fahan's childish games.

Mr. Fahan was recently quoted in the local paper stating that the career fire fighters in his Station were turning away existing and potential volunteer Fire Fighters.

Unfortunately, history has clearly shown that the person responsible for any type of exodus from this Company is Mr. Fahan and his continued misguided plans.

I guess the real question to ask is when is Mr. Fahan going to realize that fostering a better relationship with his career counterparts a far more productive use of time and money then trying to continue to find ways to sabotage what was once a very positive relationship between career and volunteer Fire Fighters?

Matt Palmer

Captain, Stamford Fire Rescue

Past President, IAFF Local 786

Edited by x152