Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

911 Investigation Continues after Atlanta Student's Death

6 posts in this topic

Channel 2 learned new information Monday about the death of a Mays High School student who went into cardiac arrest in October. The Atlanta Police Department released the 911 recordings, which show dispatchers accidentally canceled the firefighter-paramedics who were on the way to that call.

They arrived 35 minutes after the initial call and inserted a tube to help Antoine breathe, but he later died.

EMSResponder.com Article

Now, why would the EMT's wait 35 minutes for paramedics where in this urban environment an ED is definitely within that transport time? I would think that after packaging, I would get out of there as soon as I can and see if an intercept might be feasible if the medics haven't arrived yet. What would you do in this situation?

I would really have to look at the Atlanta dispatch protocols before I could make a judgement on this one.

Typical journalism. Light on details strong on emotion. The kid wasn't in arrest when the EMS crew arrived on scene. How did he present? They apparently didn't call for ALS until the kid arrested so what were they doing? What is clear is that there isn't enough information here to even speculate wether or not ALS would have made a difference, but god forbid a journalist let that stop them. All they mention is the "breathing tube", which could be effectively covered by a BVM and opa 90% of the time until said "breathing tube" arrives.

Typical journalism. Light on details strong on emotion. The kid wasn't in arrest when the EMS crew arrived on scene. How did he present? They apparently didn't call for ALS until the kid arrested so what were they doing? What is clear is that there isn't enough information here to even speculate wether or not ALS would have made a difference, but god forbid a journalist let that stop them. All they mention is the "breathing tube", which could be effectively covered by a BVM and opa 90% of the time until said "breathing tube" arrives.

who cares about the ALS / BLS fight. the real question should be why was the time on scene with patient so long without transport. even if the kid was seemingly BLS with mild to no resp. distress and no need for "extrication" why in the world would you still be on scene after 30min

for crap sake, this isn't ALS vs BLS. The point is had the kid been that sick wouldn't they have been calling for ALS. Also as you pointed out they probably wouldn't have been on scene so long. Either way its a poorly researched article that includes very few clear facts and no insight as to what actually happened to this kid.

anything to sell papers unless the whole story comes out no need to finger point