Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Got a Per-Diem! Need Advice

10 posts in this topic

Hey Guys/Gals

So after 2 months of waiting I finally got called in for an interview and was approved!

Here is the thing, it is at a rather large hospital in Manhattan running 911 calls. Fairly busy. A friend, rather well respected at this location, recommended me and they over looked the "4 years experience on a 911 EMS System" thing because of it.

My friend told me not to worry and they will guide me and show me the ropes in the beginning and get me rolling. I got my EMT cert a little over 6 months ago and have used my skills very seldom since them so I have a few cobwebs to clean out since then.

In the past i've volleyed up in westchester and know my way around a BUS and the equpment so thats not really an issue.

Now I have a full time job (in a differenct industry) and am only doing this Per-Diem shift to keep my skills up, help fellow man, and make some extra money.

Questions:

- Has anyone else been in a position as this?

- How well will I be received by other EMTs when they find out I had a "hook" to get in and have relatively little experience?

- Anything else that I should prepare for uniform wise, boots, other gear? Any tips for my first few times out?

- Any experiences with Per-Diems? Things to know?

Thanks all!

Hey Guys/Gals

So after 2 months of waiting I finally got called in for an interview and was approved!

Here is the thing, it is at a rather large hospital in Manhattan running 911 calls. Fairly busy. A friend, rather well respected at this location, recommended me and they over looked the "4 years experience on a 911 EMS System" thing because of it.

My friend told me not to worry and they will guide me and show me the ropes in the beginning and get me rolling. I got my EMT cert a little over 6 months ago and have used my skills very seldom since them so I have a few cobwebs to clean out since then.

In the past i've volleyed up in westchester and know my way around a BUS and the equpment so thats not really an issue.

Now I have a full time job (in a differenct industry) and am only doing this Per-Diem shift to keep my skills up, help fellow man, and make some extra money.

Questions:

- Has anyone else been in a position as this?

- How well will I be received by other EMTs when they find out I had a "hook" to get in and have relatively little experience?

- Anything else that I should prepare for uniform wise, boots, other gear? Any tips for my first few times out?

- Any experiences with Per-Diems? Things to know?

Thanks all!

Well just show up on time and dont act like a wacker and I am sure you will be fine. your partners may b**** and moan at first but if you know your way around a bus and how equipment works then I am sure they will be more then willing to show you "city way" of doing things. lol just like any new job listen alot and don't talk all that much the first few shifts until you can feel them out

Agreed, be eager and willing to learn. That means don't show off or bulls*** what you don't remember and ask questions if you don't know. (after the job if its not critical offcourse) I'm sure anyone whose spent more than a minute training will tell you, better have a guy who knows he doesnt know it and wants to get it right than someone who thinks he knows it all and doesn't. Sounds like your on the right track. The guys on the street don't do the hiring, so whats done is done, that part should dissapear pretty quickly. If they don't want to tech and drive all day like a moron(on the slim perchance it's an agency that doesn't have new techs ride third) , they will teach you. Most will remember that they all started somewhere and were pretty green. That being said, don't sit on your haunches at home, crack the book any chance to keep refreshing yourself.

Depending on what the company provides, I'd say the the minumum you want are your scope, penlight/minmag, shears a couple of pens, a scratch pad and a field guide if you've got one. As for boots, anything will do, but broken in is always better.

Congrats btw

Edited by nycemt728

Be nice and courteous to everyone. One rule of EMS - - don't burn bridges. You never know who your next boss may be. Ask questions and don't pull the "Back home we..." syndrome. No one cares how you did it in your volley squad. They just want to know you have their back now and are willing to learn. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone.

Yes, i'm the type of guy who is honest and more than willing to tell someone that I don't know how to do something or ask someone if they can show me how to do XYZ. I'm not one of those "know it alls" I, myself, never respect anyone like that.

My buddy told me to just be myself and he told me that with my attitude towards learning and how I treat others is already a good thing. He said to just keep it up and i'll get along just fine and my fellow workmates will be more than willing to help me along and teach me the rights and wrongs.

I know I will probably get some crap, but be careful the habits you learn from private hospital EMS in NYC, many are clowns! Although its not the greatest gig in the world and has its fair shre of nitwits also, you are better off applying for FDNY EMS. They get full time hours and benefits and probably have the best EMS academy anywhere. They will reteach EMT-B and more. They are also union which is a big plus in this economy. I worked FDNY EMS for 2 years and I am currently a CFR FF in a heavily private EMS section of the city and I can tell you there is a huge quality difference between FD and private hospital EMTs and medics. Private hospital techs can get away with alot more stuff and act like skells accordingly. Lets put it this way, you can get fired by FDNY EMS and turn around the next day and be hired by a private hospital. Anyway good luck bro.

Oh sorry didn't notice you are already a P.O., forget the FDNY EMS stuff, go out there, have fun, and do the right thing for yourself and your patients.

Probably shouldn't discuss your HOOK......EVER!

Good Point brother, Bad idea to let people in on your secret, especially In EMS.... we tend to get a little vindictive sometimes....

Just about everyone who get hired a voluntary has a "hook", most just won't admit it. Just remember that how you got hired is less important than what you do on the job.