Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Cocoanut Grove Blaze - November 28, 1942

4 posts in this topic

My parents had a friend who was working at the club that night as a bass player in the band. My father was supposed to be the drummer but was ill...(thank God). Jack received injuries from smoke inhalation and burns to his throat and lung damage. He made a full recovery and lived until a few years ago. He and my father both lost many friends as they were both born and raised in Boston and had come back from NYC for the shows before being shipped off to basic training.

It was a terrible tragedy and a horrific experience for those who lived through it, firefighters and civilians alike.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

I have a book called "Boston on Fire" and it details some of the great conflagerations the city had and covers the Coconut Grove fire in detail from owners, the patrons and workers, the fire and those responding and the aftermath. If you get a chance to read it its well worth it. I go to Boston every March and walk the "fire trail" they have.

My parents had a friend who was working at the club that night as a bass player in the band. My father was supposed to be the drummer but was ill...(thank God). Jack received injuries from smoke inhalation and burns to his throat and lung damage. He made a full recovery and lived until a few years ago. He and my father both lost many friends as they were both born and raised in Boston and had come back from NYC for the shows before being shipped off to basic training.

It was a terrible tragedy and a horrific experience for those who lived through it, firefighters and civilians alike.

Cogs

Thanks for your sharing information. Truly a sad incident that still effects families today .