Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest fdnyladder10

FDNY L118

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys

My fist post for a while as been on Bronto courses over here in the UK.

I am visiting brooklyn early 2009, and was planning on visiting some local firehouses to where i will be staying, one been E205 L118.

I was looking on google maps at the house, and noted thier motto is 'Fire under the bridge'.

I was looking at how they might get access to the bridge, and really cannto see how they get onto the brooklyn bridge, as the only access i can see is of the BQE. Do they actually respond or have any boxes on the \brooklyn or manhattan Bridges, or are they just , as it says in thier firehouse motto..'under the bridge'?

kind regards

jarrod

There are several access roads from street level that feed into the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm not exactly sure where L118 is, but from under the bridge your best access would be Sands st. However post 9/11 our government has taken an approach of preventing terrorism by preventing smooth traffic flow so Sands may be closed off. In that case you would have to go all the way around to Tillary St to come in off the main approach.

They still have boxes on the Brooklyn Bridge. E-207/L-110 have the Manhattan Bridge. Actually, I think they have responses on both bridges. I'll look when I get into work later.

Re: Brooklyn Bridge, if you walk towards the water along Cadman Plaza West/Old Fulton Street, you can actually stand in Anchorage Park under the Bridge. If you want to walk the bridge, it's a very easy walk from 205/118's Quarters on Middagh Street. Walk out to Old Fulton, make your first right at Prospect Street, and continue under the bridge, the sidewalk is clearly marked.

There was an account of Ladder 118 responding to the WTC on 9/11, if memory serves, Ladder 118 went out Prospect Street. See here: http://www.fdny226.com/tribute/memorials/B...les/nydn118.htm

Enjoy your visit, if you have the time in Downtown Brooklyn, pay a visit to Ladder 118's FQ on Jay Street. Not open to the public, but a good spot to photograph and see.

As JBE mentioned, E207/L110 is also right near by, as is 224 Engine on Hicks Street, and, if you're feeling nimble after walking the bridge, drop in on 6 Engine on Beekman Street in Manhattan. ;) If you're still in the mood for walking and buffing, there's also 226 Engine on State Street. If you're hungry, try Clark's Restaurant, Henry and Clark Streets, 3 blocks from 205/118.

Hope this helps!

-Joe DA BUFF

Edited by 10-Buff-4

Re: Brooklyn Bridge, if you walk towards the water along Cadman Plaza West/Old Fulton Street, you can actually stand in Anchorage Park under the Bridge. If you want to walk the bridge, it's a very easy walk from 205/118's Quarters on Middagh Street. Walk out to Old Fulton, make your first right at Prospect Street, and continue under the bridge, the sidewalk is clearly marked.

There was an account of Ladder 118 responding to the WTC on 9/11, if memory serves, Ladder 118 went out Prospect Street. See here: http://www.fdny226.com/tribute/memorials/B...les/nydn118.htm

Enjoy your visit, if you have the time in Downtown Brooklyn, pay a visit to Ladder 118's FQ on Jay Street. Not open to the public, but a good spot to photograph and see.

As JBE mentioned, E207/L110 is also right near by, as is 224 Engine on Hicks Street, and, if you're feeling nimble after walking the bridge, drop in on 6 Engine on Beekman Street in Manhattan. ;) If you're still in the mood for walking and buffing, there's also 226 Engine on State Street. If you're hungry, try Clark's Restaurant, Henry and Clark Streets, 3 blocks from 205/118.

Hope this helps!

-Joe DA BUFF

Many thanks for your info guys. i was going to concentrate my visit in jan-feb to Brooklyn, as i will be over in Man in Sept, we come over as a fire and rescue representative from the UK to do the tunnel to towers run.Didnt make it this year due to a knee injury sustained on a job back in the summer.

I did manage to find how 205/118 gets up onto the bridge, its middagh street, onto cadnam plaza, prospect st, right into pearl then a sharp right up onto the ramp to the Bridge, and what a fantastic structure it is, i look foreward to my short time in brooklyn heights and going over the bridge...and back to the heights!! hope the local houses are friendly bunch. And i will definately try Clarks's restaurasnt joe!!

jarrod

hope the local houses are friendly bunch.

You can rest assured that they will be, Jarrod.

If you really want to be sure though, come on up to the Boro of Gentlemen, 'da Bronx! B)

where abouts in da bronx are you Ave M?

I have been offered a visit to the Cross Bronx express House, but never made it back in 2007.

Jarrod

Actually, if you want a Bronx house that's busy and easily accessible by Public Transportation, try Engine 48/56 Truck/7th Division on Webster Avenue. Take the Metro-North Harlem Line to Fordham Station and walk down three blocks along Webster Avenue (they are at Webster and 187th Street.) I wouldn't recommend going after dark, but, they're a good house (assuming they're in, they are one of the busiest in the City!) Engine 48 celebrated their 125th in 2006. After stopping inover there, walk out 187th Street, and you're in the real Little Italy, Arthur Avenue! And if your legs are still limber, you can walk over to Engine 88/38 Truck on Belmont at 183rd Street. And from there, your best bet to start back for Manhattan/Brooklyn is to take the Bx9 bus to 174th Street Station on the Number 2 Subway Line.

Just FYI, if you want a trip up to the Bronx! Enjoy Brooklyn though.

-Joe DA BUFF

Actually, if you want a Bronx house that's busy and easily accessible by Public Transportation, try Engine 48/56 Truck/7th Division on Webster Avenue. Take the Metro-North Harlem Line to Fordham Station and walk down three blocks along Webster Avenue (they are at Webster and 187th Street.) I wouldn't recommend going after dark, but, they're a good house (assuming they're in, they are one of the busiest in the City!) Engine 48 celebrated their 125th in 2006. After stopping inover there, walk out 187th Street, and you're in the real Little Italy, Arthur Avenue! And if your legs are still limber, you can walk over to Engine 88/38 Truck on Belmont at 183rd Street. And from there, your best bet to start back for Manhattan/Brooklyn is to take the Bx9 bus to 174th Street Station on the Number 2 Subway Line.

Just FYI, if you want a trip up to the Bronx! Enjoy Brooklyn though.

-Joe DA BUFF

Cheers Joe DA BUFF, i have made a note of all that.

I have a collegue who visits 88/38 on a regular basis, and says the food they prepare is phenominal!!!

Jarrod