Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlcougar2001

1 post in this topic

If its not broken, don't fix it.

I work EMS in Tarrytown (and NYC but that's another story). The system for dispatching EMS and Fire in Tarrytown is working fine. I can see problems with 60 dispatching countywide. The local Police know certain areas and issues. For example, in Tarrytown there is a large apartment complex where you need to ask the caller for the address, building number, and apartment number. If any of that information is missing, then there will be a response delay. All the local cops know this but a 60 dispatcher that is not familiar may miss this, creating a delayed response. Also, in the heat of the moment, when a citizen calls in an emergency, they may not be able to articulate information accurately. Main street in what city? In Sleepy Hollow, there is a North Broadway and a New Broadway...a 60 dispatcher may write down "N. Broadway" and dispatch to the wrong location. Also, the local cops know the local regular callers, the trouble spots where hazards may exist. I also feel that when 60 dispatchs for calls on the NYS Thruway or Tappan Zee Bridge (Tarrytown jurisdiction) that the dispatch information is incomplete or not accurate. Several times, me and my partner have driven for miles because the dispatch information was not accurate. It makes a huge difference when you are dispatched southbound and the accident is northbound. Incorrect mile markers, told that the accident is on 287 when its on an exit ramp.

People WHO ARE IGNORANT TO THE FACTS SHOULD ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE KNOCKING OTHER PEOPLE... I HAVE A LOT TO SAY TO YOU BUT I'D BE WRONG ON THIS FORUM. GET YOUR FACT STRAIGHT BEFORE OPENING YOUR MOUTH....

Edited by Chris192
deleted - for obvoius reasons.