Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chiefhac

FDNY HIstory On This Date

5 posts in this topic

For those who may be interested, A little FDNY Fire History.

Video from the Park Slope Air Plane collision over Brooklyn (12/16/60) and the aircraft carrier USS Constellation fire (12/19/60). Both incidents in December of 1960. I remember!

chiefhac

Click on:

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0PGUpygmI&feature=related

Further information from FDNY Rescue 2: http://www.fdnyrescue2.com/history.php

- Plane crash, Park Slope Brooklyn, December 16, 1960

Two airliners collided in mid-air over New York Harbor. The first aircraft, a TWA Constellation crashed into a Military airfield on Staten Island. 44 bodies were recovered from the Staten Island Site. The second aircraft, a United DC-8 crashed into Brooklyn's Park Slope neighborhood. R-2 members operated for almost 72 hours continuously at the crash location of Sterling Pl. and 7th Ave. Rescues 1 and 4 also operated at this incident. The Rescue units deployed many of their specialized equipment to both combat the fire and search through the wreckage and debris.

- Aircraft Carrier Constellation, December 19 ,1960

All five rescue companies operated at the fire aboard this vessel under construction. The fire had trapped many workers below decks. Rescue members used their masks and torches extensively to gain access to the trapped workers. Many risky and challenging rescues were made at this incident. The companies also made use of every available inhalator and resuscitator. 50 workers were killed, and over 385 were injured.

For those who may be interested, A little FDNY Fire History.

Video from the Park Slope Air Plane collision over Brooklyn (12/16/60) and the aircraft carrier USS Constellation fire (12/19/60). Both incidents in December of 1960. I remember!

chiefhac

Click on:

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0PGUpygmI&feature=related

Further information from FDNY Rescue 2: http://www.fdnyrescue2.com/history.php

- Plane crash, Park Slope Brooklyn, December 16, 1960

Two airliners collided in mid-air over New York Harbor. The first aircraft, a TWA Constellation crashed into a Military airfield on Staten Island. 44 bodies were recovered from the Staten Island Site. The second aircraft, a United DC-8 crashed into Brooklyn's Park Slope neighborhood. R-2 members operated for almost 72 hours continuously at the crash location of Sterling Pl. and 7th Ave. Rescues 1 and 4 also operated at this incident. The Rescue units deployed many of their specialized equipment to both combat the fire and search through the wreckage and debris.

- Aircraft Carrier Constellation, December 19 ,1960

All five rescue companies operated at the fire aboard this vessel under construction. The fire had trapped many workers below decks. Rescue members used their masks and torches extensively to gain access to the trapped workers. Many risky and challenging rescues were made at this incident. The companies also made use of every available inhalator and resuscitator. 50 workers were killed, and over 385 were injured.

Chief links are not working.

I have not been successfulat incorporating links, I thought I had it right this time, but didn't. My apologies. You can cut copy and paste them in.

chiefhac

Trying again,

Click on: [email=

]

Also: Also:

Further information from FDNY Rescue 2: Rescue 2

I have not been successfulat incorporating links, I thought I had it right this time, but didn't. My apologies. You can cut copy and paste them in.

chiefhac

Trying again,

Click on: [email=

]

Also: Also:

Further information from FDNY Rescue 2: Rescue 2

Thanks Chief

Yesterday was the 10 year anniversary of the Vandalia Avenue fire in which three members of TL-170 were killed.