Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shadow12083

(stories from volunteers)A Day In The Life Of A Volunteer Fire Fighter

4 posts in this topic

I am posting this for Jack Papapietro, from the Avon VFD in Avon. CT. I came across him another place on the internet and I thought he had an interesting idea. Plus since the day he is looking to write about was very active for many on this forum due to the ice storm I figure, a few people might have a few stories to share with him.

I am looking to put together a 'day in the life' book about volunteer firefighters. I have picked Thursday Dec. 11, 2008. I would like to hear from anyone who had a call that day. What you were doing, where you were when the tone dropped, what the call was and what the assignment was and as detailed account of the call as possible, including time of dispatch.

What I am looking to do is to put together a mosaic of volunteer firefighters from across the country -and from across the world as well- on one particular day. I think that, if successful it will show an amazing picture of what we, as volunteer firefighters do on a daily basis.

Obviously those calls that are 'dramatic' would be of interest, but many calls that we get daily that are not working fires can still be interesting; MVA's, Search and Rescue, entrapment, false alarms and brush/wildland fires as examples. Successful rescues, resuscitation wins and loses, all the things we see on a daily basis can be included. This is not meant to be a book with all 'happy' endings but should include all that we see and deal with. Also, it isn't just the call, but where you were and what you were doing that is also of interest. I want to show how we as volunteers put our personal life on hold while we respond to calls.

If you want to participate, please email me your story at 1jack@drhgon.com. Don't worry about spelling, etc. I will correct as necessary. I will acknowledge all contributions I receive. For those that are selected, I will get in touch with you for more information; to clear up any questions on your contribution and for more information on you. If chosen (and published) each contribution will include your name, town/state, fire department and a short bio (age, sex, years in service, rank, etc) and possibly a picture.

Cheers, and stay safe,

Jack Papapietro

Edited by shadow12083

I went on an accident involving a three seater pickup truck with six occupants.

Unfortunately, i dont have any good stories from december 11th, 2008... But if he is interested in others, Say from February of 2008, please let me know. I would be happy to share.