Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

EMTBravo's Stance On The Use Of Profanity And Shorthand Profanity

6 posts in this topic

Policy #: 08-122008A

Issued By: Seth G.

Effective: Immediately

Many members have expressed concern about the use of profanity on this forum, and the staff not allowing shorthand profanity. The staff has discussed this, and although we did not all completely agree, we came to a consensus on what would be the best for the forum.

1. You should be able to make your point without the use of strong profanity.

2, FU, WTF, etc. are all just ways of bypassing the filter in place to remove strong profanity.

3, The rules need to be evenly enforced. Profanity = post deleted. Members will either get the hint or they will continue to have their posts deleted. And I say just delete the whole thing - don't go in and edit it out for them. We all have enough to do without editing nonsense.

4. Shorthand "WTF" will be at the moderators discretion AT THIS TIME, however, we WILL NOT tolerate it in topic titles, nor using it as the sole words in your reply.

5. BS, LOL, etc, aren't profanity. However, we STRONGLY discourage the use of "texting shorthand" on the forum.

6. Given the nature of the forum, it's hard to "read people". Profanity often contributes to hostility between members

7. Posting photos alluding to profanity will be considered profanity, all other photos will be covered by our photo posting policy.

This policy stems from the broad membership that read EMTBravo each day. Although they do not post, it's like a daily newspaper to them. We have ranking officers from some of the top deparrtments in the region, as well as the United States, who browse this forum. We want to maintain a decent atmosphere for them and for the everyday member.

If you have questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this new policy, please email me at seth@emtbravo.com, Please keep in mind moderators are only doing their jobs, and it's nothing personal.

Thank you, and I look foward to your anticpated cooperation.

-Seth G.

Founder & CEO

The EMTBravo Group

EMail Me

Edited by EMTbravo
Updated Policy

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.

~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.

And your point by posting this particular quote is what exactly?

I have generally stayed out of these types of topics...

but... why is "BS" which is short for "bull[feces]" any better than "WTF" which is arguably short for various things?

Quite frankly if someone told me my post was "BS" I would be just as offended as if they asked "WTF are you talking about?"

I pose this as an academic question, and not to incite a virtual riot.

Say What? :blink::blink:

"His train set, his rules"

~Mike Ross, EMTBravo, 2008