Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alsfirefighter

3 LODD's in 2 days

7 posts in this topic

The fire service sufferred 3 LODD's from Jan. 9th-11th. Very sad and of course they statistically fit within the 2 top firefighter killers every year. The NC cause of death is still pending however it does sound cardiac in nature.

1/9: FF Robert Dewey Martin, 26, Bostic (NC) Vol FD, died after a strenuous EMT class.

1/11: Dep. Ch. Joseph Edward VonHandorf, 52, Chelsea (MA) FD, of a massive heart attack at home. His death is being deemed a LODD under Massachusettes presumptive Heart & Lung Law. No further info was given as to what may have led to his heart attack.

1/11: FF James Fugate, 20, Collinsville (OK) Vol. FD, of trauma associated with a single vehicle MVA rollover in which he was ejected. He was responding to a smoke investigation. It was not stated whether his seat belt was applied.

Just comes to show us that some things are out of our control. It is also as many of us know completely possible to be ejected from a vehicle with a seatbelt in high speed rollover. Slow it down and exercise.

It is very sad indeed and als hits it right on the mark. Defensive driving and doing your cardio at the gym, not just weights are a must.

By the way, as all my buddies know, I now only drink Fresca if I want a soda: 0 everything, cals,caffeine, sodium ! Just remember, if you're putting away a six of Sprite every day, that's 1,000 cals/day, a lot of ballast to walk up the stairs with.......

So true! It's amazing how many calories you can cut just by dropping soda and drinking something else, like water.

For those who are like me who need a little "flava" to go along with their water, try some of the sugar free, non-caffeine drinks that are out there- Shaw's Supermarket "Signature" sparkling beverages are great- no fat, no carbs, no sodium, no calories and they use Sucralose as a sweetener, which is supposed to be based on sugar and has no (known) cancer risks. Lots of great flavors. (I should buy stock in their company.)

1/9: FF Robert Dewey Martin, 26, Bostic (NC) Vol FD, died after a strenuous EMT class.

Very sad to hear of so many LODD in such a short period of time.

This is coming from a person with no EMS knowledge at all, what could happen at a strenuous emt class that could kill a 26 year old.

to be hounest with you there is not anything strenous about emt class. that person probably had underely medical condtions/circumstances around theie death. yes it is a shame they died. we probably donn't have all the info and there probably was something else going on. mostly it would have heppened wether they were at an emt class or not