Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MerlinMedic

Scene Safety Drill ideas

10 posts in this topic

Hey, I am looking for several drill ideas/scenerios that I can use with my vollies for an in-door drill on scene safety. I will use the one with the vic of domestic violance with a gun in their hoodie, but I'd like to try/see a few more out. We are a rural squad with more guns than cows/sheep. :D

Thanx for your help in advance.

Hey, I am looking for several drill ideas/scenerios that I can use with my vollies for an in-door drill on scene safety. I will use the one with the vic of domestic violance with a gun in their hoodie, but I'd like to try/see a few more out. We are a rural squad with more guns than cows/sheep. :D

Thanx for your help in advance.

What about workplace accidents? Electrical hazards, trip/fall hazards, spills and such. Sounds pretty simple but the simplest stuff is often the first overlooked.

Merlin:

I have a street smarts for EMS presentation I developed and lecture. I don't know where you are but if your interested PM me and we'll talk.

Otherwise ensure they are doing all the steps to protect themselves from dispatch to arrival at the hospital. Where to stand at the door, where to position themselves when inside, etc.

Merlin:

I have a street smarts for EMS presentation I developed and lecture. I don't know where you are but if your interested PM me and we'll talk.

Otherwise ensure they are doing all the steps to protect themselves from dispatch to arrival at the hospital. Where to stand at the door, where to position themselves when inside, etc.

Just don't call it Street Survival 'cause they patented that name... :lol:

Don't forget Chalkboard talks on outside incidents ie:MVA/Trench any odd incidents also sounds like your in a farming community Aggie equipment very dangerous !!!

back to basic air consumption drills in the station--make a small mask confidence--practice the escape maneuvers. PPE checks, theres a few that might keep you busy for a while.

You can always do proper radio procedures

Just don't call it Street Survival 'cause they patented that name... :lol:

LOL. Nope...Street Smarts...scene safety all the same stuff. Don't forget I'd said I'd call you when I need you...and when you do scenarios...you need that extra set of instruction and experience.

OLDGUY...that is actually topics that are discussed in a rescue awareness for ems CME that I deliver for Westchester DES also. I can take that on the road as well.

Merlin, contact me via e-mail and I will share some of my ideas with you. Some of the ideas I had you might remember from when I was captain. Very effective drills and they really pound the message home to the responders. You can talk to the officers in my squad as well, we can have a joint drill one night on scene safety and crime scene preservation and waiting for PD assistance. Let me know.

I postponed the follow up due to the shooting death of EMT Marc Davis. The only connection between EMT Davis and so many of us is that it could happen to us.

I ran 4 scenerios.

The first was an accidental chemical incident. Mixing of bleach & ammonia. Pt. down, gaging/coughing. First person rushed in w/o checking scene safety. He went down. Second & third crew members went in w/o SCBA to rescue frist crew member. Only the fourth person was not afflicted. Of course a junior member hardly knows what to do except stay out.

Second was a simple laundry detergent spill creating a basic un safe scene. Well handles by liberal application of kitty litter. No injuries except the original FDGB.

Third was man down. Pt. found with electrical outlet half out, laying over the sink. One person grabbed the victim. We thought he would at least be redered unconcious, if not a code also. Remaining crew found main breaker & pulled it.

Last was the infamus damisal in distress who has a Glock under he sweater. It was ugly. Multiple fatalities.

The take home message that I saw was that a pretty face and semi-plausable story could lead us into a dnagerus setting.

How many times have we (me, myself & I) watched passively as a patient goes to get a coat in another room? Could one of these times could that personcome back with a gun or other weapon? A kniveor bolt from a cross-bow will kill me deader than dirt just as easy as a gun.

I noticed that now I am more cautus on scene. Keeping the extra personal,PD, fire etc. more for a CYA (MINE) than for the need of extra hands.

Be safe.