Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weaselff

From: Plane Down in Hudson 1-15-09 Discussion/Additonal Info Thread

1 post in this topic

For many years FDNY had their hands tied with fires. Half the city burned down over 20 years and in that time a lot changed. NYPD ESU picked up auto extrication because at times there were no truck companies nearby available to handle.

The FDNY Marine 1 and 9 fire boats were designed to put big water on big fires. They were not fast enough for rescue. In the summer smaller faster boats are put into service and both Marine 1 and 9 both have smaller rescue boats in the water year round. There is a new generation of fire boat on the way that will give FDNY a bigger presence on the water, but the primary means of water rescue are still shore based (FDNY) and airborne (NYPD).

Same thing happened with aviation. PD started the unit through the efforts of its members. By the time Fire got to looking for a bird PD made the case that they had everything covered.

As for who is in control, Commissioner Kelly is a smart and political savvy individual. He has Bloomberg's ear and has been able to expand NYPD's sphere of influence. FDNY is stuck with Scoppetta, a career politician who's previous experience was running The Administration for Children's Services.

WRONG. NYPD has ESU respond to extrications and other rescues because it is the only good PR in a liberal hellhole city where everyone hates cops. I love cops and I am a huge PD supporter but this ridiculous duplication of services pisses me off to no end. Why cant ESU stick to serving high risk warrants and maybe the occasional suicidal jumper up like SWAT in every other city?