Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
citystation1848

EMS Mutal aid in Dutchess

7 posts in this topic

A spin off on the popular Westchester thread.

Dutchess County probably has one of the best mutal-aid plans I've seen for EMS. Most towns with the exception of a few, have ALS units right in town whether they be career ems such as Arlington and LaGrange, or commercial companies such as Alamo, Mobile Life and NDP. For those towns that have the commercial ems service my question is, how satisfied are they? When a second or third call drops, how would you rate the service?

For example, towns like Wassaic, Staatsburg, Pine Plains and a few others have a commercial agency (in this case its Northern Dutchess), how do they find the response times? Granted, the reason they don't have a dedicated ambulance is because of lack of call volume. But i guess my question is how is the average response times for an ambulance, or even a fire department to roll in some of the areas that are semi-remote?

What gives Dutchess a great edge is that 1) you have centralized dispatch, 2) dispatching is highly organized - ie: there are procedures and policies on everything from units that cannot get out to MCIs, 3) most areas have chosen to go with paid EMS solutions and 4) volunteer agencies like East Fishkill do get out for the majority of their jobs

What gives Dutchess a great edge is that 1) you have centralized dispatch, 2) dispatching is highly organized - ie: there are procedures and policies on everything from units that cannot get out to MCIs, 3) most areas have chosen to go with paid EMS solutions and 4) volunteer agencies like East Fishkill do get out for the majority of their jobs

I agree with the dispatching being organized, county always knows what to dispatch and when, and if needed 2nd dispatches happen almost exactly at the 5 minute mark. East Fishkill has Mobile Life as their ALS provider, and as far as I know they keep one unit in town. If theres another call, depending on the location MLS may send another unit, or if its on the east side of town Beekman 34-79 responds. Same thing in case for Beekman, if they get bogged down by calls, East Fishkill or Pawling helps them out. Its a great system imo

I agree with the dispatching being organized, county always knows what to dispatch and when, and if needed 2nd dispatches happen almost exactly at the 5 minute mark. East Fishkill has Mobile Life as their ALS provider, and as far as I know they keep one unit in town. If theres another call, depending on the location MLS may send another unit, or if its on the east side of town Beekman 34-79 responds. Same thing in case for Beekman, if they get bogged down by calls, East Fishkill or Pawling helps them out. Its a great system imo

Well they do have two ambulances (pretty new ones, i used to see them up at VBH and SFH when i was working up there) and they do a pretty good job of getting out (see, i'm not that bad of a person!).

I think it is an insult to the men and women of the East Fishkill Fire District for what you said. We do the best we can and you we all have families and priorities. Usally 24/7/365 39-71 is rostered. Sometimes it isn't and that is where the ALS provider or Mutial Aid comes on to assist us. DC911 does an outstanding job to get the closet rig to a scene and getting that area covered if it is needed. Not everyone is perfect, but I am proud of my Department and surrounding Departments. Also, I am thankful they have our backs for EMS and Fire via Mutial Aid.

Thomas

I think it is an insult to the men and women of the East Fishkill Fire District for what you said. We do the best we can and you we all have families and priorities. Usally 24/7/365 39-71 is rostered. Sometimes it isn't and that is where the ALS provider or Mutial Aid comes on to assist us. DC911 does an outstanding job to get the closet rig to a scene and getting that area covered if it is needed. Not everyone is perfect, but I am proud of my Department and surrounding Departments. Also, I am thankful they have our backs for EMS and Fire via Mutial Aid.

Thomas

No one insulted EFFD. I just simply said for ALS. 39-71 & 72 get out almost instantly, thats a fact

Sorry I retrack my statement about that I read that wrong. I thought it said East Fishkill does not get out for most of thier jobs. I do appoligize. I will read slower next time, lol.

Thomas