Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
16fire5

Mutual Contempt: When fire departments can block each other from calls, is there any hope for change?

2 posts in this topic

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/200..._neighbori.html

A very sad state of affairs.

Who's to blame?

The local chiefs for making decisions that are not in the best interest of the health and safety of their members and those they are sworne to protect?

The commisioners of these districts who let this happen?

The Town Supervisor for spineless don't rock the boat comments that do nothing for the taxpayers.

The lawyer Mr. Pinsky who although very knowledgeable about NYS fire service law (his specialty) his name continually surfaces in these less than flattering fire service conflicts?

I'll tell you who I blame FASNY, NYSAFC, and the association of fire districts who continually block any legislation that would lead to consolidation. So here is why I bring this up. In my town there is a former volunteer chief who I see ocassionally and am candid with and he happens to be very involved in these organizations. Whenever any leglislation comes up that threatens to rock the boat he gets all the card carrying members of the department to write letters and get the numbers out to block these bills. I think for the most part the members of this fourm represent the more progressive volunteer who want the best for those they serve. Next time one of these bills come along and someone is trying to get you to go along with the posse make your own decision. Read up on it and do the right thing. Maybe doing the right thing means telling FASNY your opinion or canceling your membership.

That's ridiculous. If I lived in either one of those districts and my house burned to the ground, and I found out that it could have been saved had a proper mutual aid plan been in effect, I would own both of those fire departments, plain and simple. Just because Department A doesn't like Department B doesn't mean that they couldn't or shouldn't come together in an effort to protect the public. Neither one of those departments should be operational because no matter which way you slice it, their behavior is downright dangerous and it's going to get someone killed, whether it be a member of the service or a civilian.