Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Engfire

Scott 75 SCBA

6 posts in this topic

Our dept just recently placed into service Scott75 SCBA with all the bells and whistles including the pack tracker system. To further add to this every ajoining dept is in the process of adding Scott 75s and the stand-alone pack tracker so they can add it to the existing Scott 50s. My question is anyone up there in the northeast using the Scott 75s or the stand-alone pack trackers and if so do you like it or dislike it.

Well we do not have them yet, but should be here next week. Do you like them with the pack tracker?

We just put them into service here in PA, and I must say that I still need to see the packtracker in action to be a believer. It is a good tool to have, but I am worried that it may be misused. The representitive that helped us put the units in service described a lot of precautions that you must take in order to use it properly in rescue operations. It can give a lot of false readings with the signal bouncing off or being absorbed by certain surfaces, but it also can be a great tool. I hope I can see it in use in training soon to get a better feel for it. Anything can look good on paper but it is a tool like a haligan or a hook and is worthless unless the operator is well trained in its proper use.

Other than that the other bells and whistles are great. I like the buddy breather systems especially the low pressure system on the line which could really come in handy in a pinch. All in all I think they are a great pack.

If i am not mistaken, the Westchester County Haz-Mat team has the packtracker.

If i am not mistaken, the Westchester County Haz-Mat team has the packtracker.

You are mistaken, Westchester County DES Haz-Mat has Scott SEMS - " Scott Electronic Management System "

SEMS is designed to provide an air management system/PASS for the firefighter that transmits and receives information, such as low cylinder air, to and from a base station outside of the IDLH environment. This allows for better accountability of the firefighter by the incident commander. Its automatic operation is similar to the Scott Pak-Alert SE® and alerts a firefighter down alarm to the base station within 10 seconds of full activation. In addition, an incident commander can signal selected individuals or all logged-on users to evacuate for up to 48 users, tracking up to 100 total. A simple laptop connected to base station allows viewing of all users in a consolidated method.

versus

The Scott Pak Tracker is used to locate a trapped or downed first responder within a single or multi-story structure quickly and safely with the Scott Pak-Tracker locator system. Available as a stand-alone system deployed with or without an SCBA or integrated into a Scott Air-Pak® Fifty™ or Air-Pak® NxG2™ SCBA. The rugged, simple to use system functions on the principle of 2.4GHz RF signal strength received and is an invaluable additional tool for search and rescue operations.

Golden's Bridge FD was the first in Westchester to have Pak Tracker.

Hope this Helps, Stay Safe.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Pak Tracker system. I feel like it could very well be more distracting and could cause a false sense of security for guys to freelance and just assume they will be easily found, or for the IC to not really keep on top of where all his men are. There is a system coming out, hopefully in the next few years, that can show in real time the precise position of the user in all three dimensions, and can be used by the IC to see a general layout of the building, (stairways, hallways, rooms, etc) That is a very exciting technology which could prove to be absolutely invaluable for RIT/Accountability issues.