Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt728

Queens ER Closures

9 posts in this topic

Well here it is from the powers that be, my thoughts to those affected by the closures:

Mary Immaculate Hospital (H 36)

Effective 0001 hours, Tuesday, February 10, 2009

- No longer an authorized 911 ambulance destination for patients requiring PSYCHIATRIC care

Effective 0001 hours, Saturday, February 14, 2009

- No longer an authorized 911 ambulance destination - NO PATIENTS shall be transported to this hospital

St. John's Queens Hospital (H 39)

Effective 0001 hours, Tuesday, February 10, 2009

- No longer an authorized 911 ambulance destination for PEDIATRIC patients.

Effective 0001 hours, Saturday, February 14, 2009

- No longer an authorized 911 ambulance destination - NO PATIENTS shall be transported to this hospital

And with the hospital closures, the ambulances turning out are lost as well. FDNY is asking for all paramedics interested in a transfer to queens to sign up now. I'm assuming they're going to grab up as much ALS as they can and give up the remaining ALS and all BLS to the voluntaries.

And with the hospital closures, the ambulances turning out are lost as well. FDNY is asking for all paramedics interested in a transfer to queens to sign up now. I'm assuming they're going to grab up as much ALS as they can and give up the remaining ALS and all BLS to the voluntaries.

Queens West(Bn 45/46/49) is a great place to work, could be worth the bridge tolls for FDNY EMS members who live in southern Westchester/Bronx. Though nowhere in NYC is safe, it has far fewer skells than Bronx commands...maybe a good choice for those burnt out from the ghetto nonsense.

What are the reasons behind the closures? Didnt they just build a new ER at MIH?

Simple, no money...the same folks own both hospitals (Caritas). Caritas says they're broke and can't run the two hospitals w/o the state aid that was just cancelled.

Edited by nycemt728

My heart goes out to everyone who has lost their job from this incident. Specifically The EMT's and Paramedic's, who's union has thus far done nothing more than offer them classes in floor mopping. It is a cold and dark day in health care. My campus is closing come June. NY-Presbyterian has pulled out of the potential merger with NY-Westchester Square, we staff two units 24hrs a day one ALS and One BLS within the voluntary system. Fortunately for my colleagues and I we work for presby not the square, so the only inconvenience is a relocation to another campus...

On a side note with the EMS academy losing it's tour 3's, cutting new academy classes and turfing the instructors back out onto the road; on top of the 30 tours cut (equivalent of 10, 24hr units), how will EMS handle the loss? We lost a FDNY BLS unit near by in the Bronx just recently (20G) If I'm not mistaken there's roughly 11 voluntary units lost due to these closures, The city is hard pressed with staffing as is... It will be interesting to see what comes of this. Perhaps those 12 hour tours will become the new reality citywide.

Anomalyemt, I'm sorry to see you guys leaving Castle Hill. Great people on 3L and mostly excellent medics on 3V.

I haven't seen the orders, but rumor mill says FDNY is picking up 2 Mary Immaculate and 1 St Johns ALS, one unknown BLS, and relocating one ALS into the area.

When Westchester Square closes an slightly less reliable rumor mill has 20W becoming 03V and if transcare wants to, they can park another ALS a 1/2 mile from 20X.

Bloomy made it clear from the beginning that none of his cuts were set in stone. Threaten to cut cops or firefighters people groan and the city council cries. Threaten 15,000 teachers and housewives, yuppies, and the middle class start calling their senator. Once the state and fed send cash, that everyone knew from the beginning was coming, the teaching cuts get scaled back. Much of the areas being picked up have higher insurance percentages so the dept may be able to spin that into making it 18 cut tours.

Anomalyemt, I'm sorry to see you guys leaving Castle Hill. Great people on 3L and mostly excellent medics on 3V.

I haven't seen the orders, but rumor mill says FDNY is picking up 2 Mary Immaculate and 1 St Johns ALS, one unknown BLS, and relocating one ALS into the area.

When Westchester Square closes an slightly less reliable rumor mill has 20W becoming 03V and if transcare wants to, they can park another ALS a 1/2 mile from 20X.

Bloomy made it clear from the beginning that none of his cuts were set in stone. Threaten to cut cops or firefighters people groan and the city council cries. Threaten 15,000 teachers and housewives, yuppies, and the middle class start calling their senator. Once the state and fed send cash, that everyone knew from the beginning was coming, the teaching cuts get scaled back. Much of the areas being picked up have higher insurance percentages so the dept may be able to spin that into making it 18 cut tours.

As per the FDNY Bureau of EMS Command Order 2009-029 trhe following units are to be deleted effective Tour 1 2/14 Bronx unit 17F out of Station 55 in Melrose all tours, MIH Unit 50G all tours and St. John's unit 46G all tours. The following unit is added to the Queens matrix unit 50D out of Station 50 (Hillcrest). Also, the Fire Department is not allowing Caritas to delete the current ALS units that St. John's and MIH are running because they weren't given enough notice word is that those units will continue running for now the projection is that the units will be around for another six weeks give or take a week or two. Also, word through the rumor mill is that FDNY told NYPH that they can continue running 03V and 03L out of the garage after Westchester Square closes and NYPH said thanks but no thanks. FDNY might finally get its wish to run the whole system and now they are looking to cut 30 tours and the are looking for people to transfer to Queens to staff units sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul to pay Peter. As was previously said close fire houses or cut teachers and people get up in arms but cut ambulances or ambulance tours and nobody seems to care until it's to late.

I have to do a little more research into it but I think that rumor is true about not keeping 03V and 03L. Logistically it makes no sense to run a unit if it's not going to bring patients back to a receiving er (the closest NYPH ER would then be The Allen Pavilion on 210th/Bway). Which is why Presby would say thanks but no thanks. It's sad for those working within the system as voluntaries who can't or don't want to go work for FDNY. It's been a great run up here in the boogie down, my only hope is that we keep it that way till June and no one gets into that frame of mind "we're leaving anyway what's it matter".