Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ocff75

Janitors or Firefighters ????

33 posts in this topic

In regard to an earlier post about these housemen being union; I do know that some of them are organized with CSEA/AFSAME Local 016. Thier recognized as a bargaining unit and are covered under a collective bargaining agreement.

these guys aren't paid firefighters, they are underpaid firefighters... Let's face it, most vollys who are real firefighters, not just your typical "knife & fork'er" are all sitting on lists to hopefully become a Paid firefighter one day. Because it's trully what they love to do.. and that's great.. but if they up and all quit being vollys one day.. and departments wern't getting out and getting the job done, they would be left with no choise but to hire a paid force.. Hey, after all wouldn't you rather get paid for doing what you love?

Truckie Buff,

I don't understand your point. This is the harsh reality. If you were a union carpenter and a non-union shop came in and did your job for less money I don't think you would be to happy about it. Paid "janitors" is not the way to turn towns onto hiring paid firefighters. In fact it could be one of the worst ways. Towns who are heading in the direction of hiring a paid fire force could now realize that staffing a fire house in an alternative way and paying the firefighters less money (as you said underpaid) is a great money-saving solution. So a few guys get offered a "janitor" position and think they have it made. Meanwhile the thought of paid firefighters for the department lingers in the wind while those (dedicated volunteers you mentioned) sit waiting on lists all over the country.