Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

FDNY EMS- "Rescue Medics"?

7 posts in this topic

It's a rescue medic truck. From my understanding they are Paramedics trained extensively in crush medicine and operating in technical rescue situations. They carry a host of specialized equipment given this role. I believe they existed prior to 9/11 but were disbanded shortly before the attacks and then quickly put back into service post attack.

In their current form they are new as of 2 years ago. The majority of the equipment they carry is the HazMat PPE and Decon equipment carried by all HazTac units. While they do have additional equipment they are reliant on the Rescue Cos to assist their access to the patient. The medical interventions are performed under the supervision of an EMS doc who responds to the scene. There are currently 5 citywide running 24/7 and the dept has received another grant to staff another 5. My only gripe about the program is unlike ESU or Fires Rescue Cos where members work hard to get a slot, EMS goes with a slightly different approach. Any HazTac medic is eligible and if they cannot fill the slots it gets opened up to any regular medic. The first 50 medics weren't even required to complete all parts of the training as exceptions were made for members with a fear of heights or a large waistline.

Edited by ny10570

I hate to say it, because the thought and intention behind the "Rescue Medics" is grand, but they are underutilized and more than likely will not be used on a day to day basis to the fullest extent of their abilities. It's a shame, but take for instance ESU vs FDNY on extrication jobs... it all comes down to who shows up first. I've been on scene's where arguments have broken out on which agency will get to take the door. Now put EMS in in the mix on a collapse/rope rescue/technical rescue type assignment... Forget it! We're the proverbial red headed step children in the mix and unfortunately it's riding on years of bureaucracy and other people's attitudes that make it that way.

One day we'll all learn to share our Lincoln Logs in the sand box.

It's a rescue medic truck. From my understanding they are Paramedics trained extensively in crush medicine and operating in technical rescue situations. They carry a host of specialized equipment given this role. I believe they existed prior to 9/11 but were disbanded shortly before the attacks and then quickly put back into service post attack.

They existed way back when in the HHC days and were called USAR Medics. They were trained a lot more thoroughly than the current "rescue medic". The old USAR medic was trained not only as an EMTP-CC, but flight medicine, confined space, crush, technical rescue, etc... The program was offed when FDNY took the reigns in 1996.