Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcoppola

City of Norwalk FD

8 posts in this topic

The City of Norwalk has announced that it is accepting applications for entry-level firefighter via the city website. Click on the attachment for the job announcement and click here for the online application process.

For more information on the City of Norwalk Fire Department, browse the Norwalk Firefighters Association's website at www.local830.org.

recruitment.pdf

Any estimates on how many they're gonna hire off this list?

I believe the application said that they have 1 opening right now

I believe the application said that they have 1 opening right now

As of right now we have 8 vacancy's. Over the next 24 months there will be at least 10 to 15 retirements, that doesn't mean that the city will hire to fill them all. The powers to be say it is cheaper to pay overtime than fill all of the vacancy's.

I have some info on CPAT that may help:

I just hung up the phone with the Deputy Director of Training at the Connecticut Fire Academy. He told me that the CPAT is NOT going away. Due to some internal federal red-tape, the program is being re-vamped. He told me that everyone can expect to see some information on the CFA website (www.state.ct.us/cfpc) regarding dates and upcoming CPAT classes within 2-3 weeks. Applications for Norwalk do not close until May 22nd and he felt that there would be enough time to at least get a reservation for a class. I do not know what the City of Norwalk is going to do about those that are scheduled for the test but haven't taken it yet. That is something that will have to be taken up with the personnel department.

This is positive information from the source. It should help to sqaush any rumors. If I can be of any other assistance to any members, drop me an email at jvcoppola@sbcglobal.net.

is it worth it for non-residents to apply since preference is given to residents?

Does anyone know as a non resident do I have any chance at getting hired off of this list or is it like so many other tests I have been taking...good practise. Just wondering I have been taking every test possible and hopefully will get lucky off one, sadly I have no residency anywhere, but it is always nice to know whether you have at least a shot or if it is like taking Yonkers...an expensive practise test.

z28skunk...I would advise you to take any test possible...they are good practise and hey at some point hopefully you will get lucky, thats what I am hoping for.

Edited by truckiehand

They have given points for residency in the past, but I can tell you with certainty that plenty of guys got hired off of the last list that were not Norwalk residents. I think like any other test, it is worth a crack at it.

Joe