Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Recertifying EMT Certification in 2 States

4 posts in this topic

I am currently certified in both New York and Delaware, where I attend school (since it is not adjacent to NY, I am not eligible for recertification by reciprocity). I am also nationally registered.

I have two years left on all 3 certifications.

I expect to have 48 CME hours completed by my cards' expiration dates, wheather I need to use them or not.

Delaware will likely accept a refresher from New York, but I understand New York will not accept a refresher from Delaware. The national registry will accept a refresher from anywhere. Since I am spending most of the year in Delaware, it is easiest to take a refresher there, as they are often scheduled over just two weekends. Is there any similar length programs offered over the summer in the Westchester area? Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to go about recertifying?

NY refresher isn't 2 weekends, thats for sure. It's usually a summer semester course (in the college setting that is, like @ WCC). The way it usually works is you take a large written exam and a practical skills test which determines where you need to refresh and hone your skills. After you remediate, you take the practical skills exam and then the state written and assuming you pass, viola your a tech.

If you don't want to go through that then i would suggest finding out what CMEs count towards your NY cert (it seems your DE and National registry are not an issue here, just NY). Probably best contacting either your home agency in NY or the DOH.

Goose, I think he means the pilot recert. From what I remember, the State Academy has a two weekend recert sometime in the summer, as does the State EMS Conference in October (24 core Cme for BLS). Check NYC--it might have a 24 hour CME over a series of days too!

Best of luck!

Yea, the Delaware refresher is the 24 hour refresher. I believe I can apply my 48 CMEs towards the NY CME program, so if I could find a way to get the 24 hour core content in NY, that would work perfectly.