Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

Bob Sheppard has retired

19 posts in this topic

Very sad but also to I'm very glad he is going on with his life. Though he may not be the voice of the new stadium, I'll still remember it at the old one. Good Luck Bob!!!

I believe Derek Jeter had him tape his plate appearence so he will always announce Now batting Derek jeter

Thank you Bob for being part of some of my favorite memories throughout the years.

Ladies and gentlemen... a true Yankee legend... Mr. Bob... Sheppard...

I believe Derek Jeter had him tape his plate appearence so he will always announce Now batting Derek jeter

that is correct, JHK.

Itll be sad not hearing him on the PA. Hopefully they get him into the new monument park.

I herd later in the day tho that this is a "rumor" and he has not officially announced his retirement. He will not be attending opening day because he has bronchitis, but plans on returning?

i don't know how valid that is but every article i can find (other than the new york obama times) has not actually confirmed his retirement

I just found this article:

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2009/0..._bob_shepp.html

Edited by NYRangers30

Espn reported that his rep said the times was wrong

His voice will always echo in my head in that stadium for the rest of my life. I only wish my children will have someone to have the same memories of.

that is correct, JHK.

Itll be sad not hearing him on the PA. Hopefully they get him into the new monument park.

he definitely belongs there

According to even the times article Bob has said he is not done yet, Hopefully we will get one more year from that great voice, is he still doing the giant games over the PA. I know he used to not to sure if he retiered from there.

right from the times article

Despite Doherty’s disclosure, Sheppard, who has been the P.A. announcer for the Yankees since 1951, declined to say that he was retiring. When asked if he was officially leaving the position, Sheppard said, “I never said it.”

Edited by calhobs

TAMPA, Fla. -- One day after Bob Sheppard said that he was looking forward to announcing games at the new Yankee Stadium, The New York Times reported that Sheppard was planning to retire instead.

Paul Doherty, a friend and agent who has represented Sheppard, told the Times that Sheppard's son, Paul, told him about Sheppard's plans on Wednesday morning. The Yankees denied the report, stating that Sheppard continues to be their official public-address announcer.

"We have spoken to Paul Sheppard, and he was very clear to us that the report made is categorically untrue," said Yankees director of public relations Jason Zillo. "Paul Sheppard has not said anything remotely like that."

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=nyy

Looks like he is staying

hopefully 2 years or more 1951- 2011 would be neat 60 years

It's funny, the Yankees own website reported that he was retiring yesterday. Perhaps it was their own little April Fool because today it says he'll just miss the start of the season.

I guess we'll have to wait and listen!

It's funny, the Yankees own website reported that he was retiring yesterday. Perhaps it was their own little April Fool because today it says he'll just miss the start of the season.

I guess we'll have to wait and listen!

Ladies and gentleman.......... Now batting........... the short stop.......#2...............Derek...Jeter...........#2.. I have to agree if it is at all true , just will not be the same.

Bob is 98 and missed all of last season. Although I am saddened by the fact that his career may be over, I am not one bit surprised. How many of us know anyone 98 years old? Life expectancy is greater than it ever was but 98 is still more rare than it is common!

And this is another reason they can't move Jeter...poor Bob would have to re-record the announcement and is incapable of doing so at this time from what is circulating!