Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is this?

7 posts in this topic

I was just on 1stresponder.com and noticed a PVC looking pipe on Engine 161 above the hard suction. Anyone have any information on what this is?

Article for Reference

Looks like a possiable floatng dock or something like that or could be a Potato Gun.

Thomas

It says on it "Hot Stick" as in a power company lineman's tool.

I believe that's a "Hot Stick" storage cylinder, tools used to check if downed wires are live. Not that many engine companies carry them anymore from what I've seen, the ones that do are usually in areas in the outer boroughs where there are a lot of raised wires.

As mentioned above....

It was indeed installed to carry a hotstick for the moving of downed powerlines. However, there was never sufficient training in their use and no one was particularly fond of using one. The job decided to take them out of service a few years ago. We use the tube to hold misc. items, like a steal hook for fire escape stretches.

Side note. Only the top section of black hose below the tube is hard suction. Each engine has one 10ft section. The lower one is flexible and is one of the more common ways that the ECC hooks to the hydrant.

Thanks for the info.

All of the hot sticks were recalled.