Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Wood over Metal Studs - Why?

9 posts in this topic

At our most recent fire, we encountered a construction I have seen before, but can't figure out the reason behind it. It's a 2 1/2-story four apartment building built about 10-12 years ago. The first floor has metal C-joist studs, but the second floor has wooden joists. Anyone know why they would put the heavier materials on the upper level? To me, it seems like if you get a hot enough fire going on the first floor and have failure of those metal joists, that second floor is going to pancake down - no?

I haven't been involved in construction since High School, so any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Edited by Remember585

maybe they ran low on money. 10-12 years ago steel joist cost more then wood.

You sure you dont mean wall studs? Or did they use steel for the floor joists?

The metal C- sections would allow them to span greater lengths without having support columns under neath than the wood.

And they are probably using the steel to distribute the loads across and to the exterior

You sure you dont mean wall studs? Or did they use steel for the floor joists?

My bad - studs. I always exercise caution with that word on these forums.... goes to some guys' heads.

My bad - studs. I always exercise caution with that word on these forums.... goes to some guys' heads.

Is there a brick veneer on the first floor??

I'm confused. We're talking metal studs on the first floor and wood studs on the second right? Not floor joists. Are these just interior walls or load bearing walls?

After further examination, the first floor is made of cement blocks, with metal studs inside to create a framework for the interior walls.

The second floor is all wood, covered with the cement board with a rough finish similar to stucco.

Edited by Remember585

chances are Chief, the load is being carried on the masonry block wall... then the insulation and sheetrock is furred out from the masonry wall with steel studs, a cost saving measure...