Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M' Ave

New FDNY Fireboats "Three Forty Three" & "FF II"

4 posts in this topic

Follow the link below to see photos of the FDNY "Three Forty Three" and "Fire Fighter 2" as they progress through the build stage

FDNY Fireboat

The two new vessels, along with a pair of smaller SAFE boats will be delivered later this year at a cost that will exceed $40 million.

They will be 140' long and draw 9', propelled by 4 2,000hp diesel engines.

The engines will also power the 50,000 gallon per minute pumps. The pumps will be able to shoot water 700' from the midships monitor nozzles and can also be used to supply land units through 5" hose up to 5 miles away.

The first vessel will replace the vessel used by Marine Co. 9 out of Staten Island, the "Fire Fighter" built circa 1938.

I'd heard 343 was the first boat and headed to Marine 1. Build completed by early 2010 sea trials and and delivery by the end of the year. What changed?

I'd heard 343 was the first boat and headed to Marine 1. Build completed by early 2010 sea trials and and delivery by the end of the year. What changed?

Who knows. Things change everyday. I will say, however, that Marine 1 is about 20 years younger than Marine 9 and in much better shape.

That would be logical. I can guarantee based purely on that Marine 9 is 20 years older it will be replaced last.