Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MerlinMedic

EMS crew utilization

1 post in this topic

Does anyone know of any studies or policies KKK, CAAS etc that show or reccomend crew utilization standards? With the ecconomy in a shambles, and NYS limiting amounts billed (EMS only), and ObamaCare soon to cap all insurance reembursments, commercial EMS managers are going to be demanding more and more out their crews to try to make $$ to keep the doors open. What are safe levels of utilization? How many hours moving in an ambulance, doing transports, E jobs, moving from location to location without a break before someone falls asleep at the wheel (again :( ) or a medic pushes the wrong drug? The only standards I know of are the Federal DoT for OTR truckers, which limits their days to 14 hours, and the JEMS study that shows after 12 or 16 hours medics reactions are that of someone with a BAC of 0.8%

Any info would be great. BTW, I am calling utilization from time of dispatch to back in quarters, not service. After all, we might be clear of Boston General, but still have 4 hours in trafic -- ok, the way I drive 2.5 :P but ...