Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moggie6

What is the Aviation Volunteer Fire Dept.

7 posts in this topic

What is the Aviation Volunteer Fire Dept? Who are they? Where are they and when were they orgainzied and if they were disbanded when and why? I did see a picture on the internet of one of their fire engines back in the day. Who oversee's them and did they participate in nys training ect?

Aviation 3 is / was one of the 10 chartered volunteer fire companies in NYC located in the Bronx. Prior to 9/11 their firehouse was demolished as they were using space in the neighborhood community building, which was condemned I believe. As posted above after 9/11 there have been a lot of changes / problems plaguing the organization. Right now from teh information I have come across they look like they will / are disbanded.

it's a small fire department in the Bronx it was established in 1923. they currently run a 1989 e-one and a 2001 spartan/luverne they have not been disbanded they are 1 out of 10 volunteer departments throughout the 5 bouroghs. alot of these departments ran the old American lafrance's that the FDNY used. yes and they do work with the FDNY at fire scenes.

it's a small fire department in the Bronx it was established in 1923. they currently run a 1989 e-one and a 2001 spartan/luverne they have not been disbanded they are 1 out of 10 volunteer departments throughout the 5 bouroghs. alot of these departments ran the old American lafrance's that the FDNY used. yes and they do work with the FDNY at fire scenes.

They don't have those rigs any more as I posted above, they were sold off about a year or two ago. It is in all of the news articvles with the embezzelment investigation because they sold them after they were donated to the company. As for them being disbanned I am not sure if they are, haven't yet or if they are trying to make a come back. They were trying to get a new building but those efforts seem to be stagnet since about 2003 / 2004. From other sites, they are currently not responding to alarms but that is going by that information.

They do not respond to alarms and are not dispatched by any city agency.