Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Medic442

The Six Pac Patient Transfer Device

12 posts in this topic

I had just seen a add in JEMS for a thing called the six pac. It looks like a set of 3 wheels each side that attaches to a back board and moves a Pt like a hand truck. This includes on stairs (as shown in the pic).

Just wondering if anyone has used it or has at their company, dept, or corp? It looks like a good idea, & anything that saves my back I am up for.

You found it!!! The company sent me some specs & the price. $$$$ LOL. Ill get back to. It seems and looks like a great idea and have worked in several systems that it would be great to have on the bus or for MCIs. I really like it & looks like it might be a working item. Would like to know if any one was crazy to lay out $595.00 for it. Thats where they lost me.

I have used the stairchairs with that wheel system and they work. Unless you work with someone that thinks everyone on wheels needs to be carried (Goose you know who I am talking about). I think in Yonkers or sim areas it would be a winner.

So back at it, I wonder if anyone was able to put that money out for it and how they liked it.

I don't think there will be much used feed back

You mean you weren't referring to my Ripped and Chiseled Washboard Stomach ???

HA ! That was many many many beers ago.....................

:lol:

That sure would have come in handy last week when i had to cary a 250 lb pt up 3 flights of stairs out of a subway station after he fainted and fell on the tracks. Was my partner and I and two overweight cops that didnt really know anything about carying a backboard as a team and kept throwing the ballance of the board off, we almoast droped the guy twice because they threw the ballance off so bad and i ended up with a strained forearm from desperatly trying to keep my grip on the board. Thank god we had this guy securely imobilized or his spine would have been completely compromised from jut being carried. Looks like the device will do what it advertises but at that price i doubt it will see mainstream use.

Looks like an interesting innovation for one of the major day-to-day evolutions necessary on the job. If I were to shell out ~600 I would want a hands-on demo first.

That sure would have come in handy last week when i had to cary a 250 lb pt up 3 flights of stairs out of a subway station after he fainted and fell on the tracks. Was my partner and I and two overweight cops that didnt really know anything about carying a backboard as a team and kept throwing the ballance of the board off, we almoast droped the guy twice because they threw the ballance off so bad and i ended up with a strained forearm from desperatly trying to keep my grip on the board. Thank god we had this guy securely imobilized or his spine would have been completely compromised from jut being carried. Looks like the device will do what it advertises but at that price i doubt it will see mainstream use.

Who needs a hard to store $600 thing when you've got an engine co. every few blocks?

A engine comp every few blocks? Not around here. Thanks everyone for the replys. Yes I would like to see it used. I think it could be a good item but 600.

Something like this may not be a very good investment for a city based agency, even though there are alot of stairs, there is also a more readily-available manpower base. Not every area however is so fortunate to have abundant manpower and helpful FD personnel. There are places that the FD is not so willing to assist EMS, as shocking as it may seem, and the EMS crew is left pretty much to their own devices to manage moving a patient. I'm sure that 600+ price tag may be a bit steep, but I'm sure there are plenty of agencies that would benefit alot from having such a device. I personally think its a pretty neat tool, and i can think of quite a few occasions that having something like it would have saved my back the pain, lol.

I can't see that being practical on a day to day basis. Most of the time it's hard enough just trying to WALK through these crazy staircases. I imagine that very often when one would want to use such a device, they would find themselves unable to do so. Plus the price is outrageous. I don't have first hand knowledge, but I'd think I might be able to get a hand truck for waaaay less and just tie the board to it with straps.

I personally prefer the hold the feet from below and "thud...thud...thud" method. Just as a little reminder not to walk upstairs after getting hurt next time.

For that money, I'd rather invest in a stokes basket and get 4X the use out of it.

Photos from the WaterCrest website:

six_pack_upright.png

six_pack_action.jpg

Doesn't look like the worst idea ever. $600 vs. the amount of sore backs and actual back injuries from two member crews carrying people up and down stairs all the time may be a wise investment.

By the way, is it me or does the woman strapped to that thing look less then comfortable?! :rolleyes:

Edited by Remember585