Followers 0
Geppetto

AMA studying retiring "White Coat's"

6 posts in this topic

Coat of harms? AMA considers ban on doctors' signature white garment

By Erika Slife

Chicago Tribune

July 6, 2009

When you're sick, the sight of a doctor dressed in a trusty white lab coat can be as comforting as chicken noodle soup. But in reality, that white coat -- long associated with healing, cleanliness and authority -- could be a cesspool of germs.

According to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 1.7 million patients acquired infections at hospitals in 2002, resulting in almost 100,000 deaths. While there is no conclusive evidence that germs found on the sleeves of lab coats, neckties or other clothing caused those deaths, the American Medical Association is studying a measure that would urge hospitals to adopt dress codes to minimize the spread of infection.The proposal is, in part, based on the 2007 "bare below the elbow" hospital dress code implemented by the British National Health System, which banned, among other clothing, the "traditional physician white coat," according to the measure....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/chi-co...0,1802810.story

Coat of harms? AMA considers ban on doctors' signature white garment

By Erika Slife

Chicago Tribune

July 6, 2009

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/chi-co...0,1802810.story

Everyone wears scrubs, you can't tell Nurses from the techs, or even the housekeeping staff for that matter, so why not the doctors too.

They should standardize, colors, or something.

The scrub use has to change too. Some hospitals now have specific scrub colors for OR suites and forbid employees from wearing scrubs outside the hospitals.

On a similar note, after a call when you wash up, how many people just wash their hands? Our hands are the one thing we cover throughout a call. Our forearms and faces probably get more exposure and less attention.

Edited by ny10570

Or how often do you remove (and wash) your jewelry, specifically rings and watches? And let us not forget the stethoscopes. Or how about Blood Pressure Cuffs? When I ever get around to taking Microbiology, I'm going to reach out to a friend who works for a lab and do a study to see how clean our blood pressure cuffs are. I bet you they are far worse than our stethoscopes.

Why wait, for about $1.50 each you can buy LB Agar Plates or for about $0.70 each you put your own plates together. LB Agar is probably your best bet as it grows a variety of bacteria, fungi, and mold. Just a little practice in aseptic technique and you're on your way to knowing who's your dirtiest co-worker. If you really want to get crazy you can get into colony sampling and find out what you guys are carrying around.

suites and forbid employees from wearing scrubs outside the hospitals.

I have to laugh when I see hospitals/agencies that try banning items of clothing worn outside of work (not uniforms). I recall in the days of yor when hospitals had a major problem with scrubs walking. A certian Albany hospital put "Property of AMCH" all over their scrubs so they wouldn't walk. Albany has a thriving adult softball leage. I drove by one field and saw a complete team dressed in green scrub with -- yup -- "Property of AMCH" stamped all over them. :lol: