Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NYC EMS Jobs

8 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Im considering a move to NYC within the next two years. I was hoping someone could give me insight on who the 911 providers in the city are. I know of FDNY-EMS, and Empress, but dont know about others. Who is reputable, who pays well, your likes/dislikes?

As far as my experience, I have been on a 911 truck for 4 years now avg 20-24 calls in a 24hr shift. I have 2 yrs in Critical Care transport, Tactical EMS, and 8 yrs as a firefighter.

after 27 years, Im just done with the Texas summers (well... moreover the lack of seasons)

Any input would be awesome.

Many thanks, and stay safe.

Hello All,

Im considering a move to NYC within the next two years. I was hoping someone could give me insight on who the 911 providers in the city are. I know of FDNY-EMS, and Empress, but dont know about others. Who is reputable, who pays well, your likes/dislikes?

As far as my experience, I have been on a 911 truck for 4 years now avg 20-24 calls in a 24hr shift. I have 2 yrs in Critical Care transport, Tactical EMS, and 8 yrs as a firefighter.

after 27 years, Im just done with the Texas summers (well... moreover the lack of seasons)

Any input would be awesome.

Many thanks, and stay safe.

Lenox Hill Hospital 100 E 77th St NYC, NY 212-434-3043 Great EMS department. 4 BLS, 4 ALS units assigned to 911.

Also, St. Lukes/Roosevelt Hospital 1000 Tenth Ave (cross of 9th Ave) NYC,NY

NY Presbyterian Hospital York Ave / E 68th St.

NYU Medical Center EMS on first ave

Columbia on Broadway / W 168 st.

Mt Sinai Hospital EMS Madison Ave / E 100 St.

North General Hospital EMS on Park Ave

TXMedic, Before you make a move, just make sure you check out the cost of living in the NYC area. Apartments run from about $1200 to $1500 a month and thats nothing fancy. Parking near your apt could be diffucult. Tolls to go from one Boro to the next are not cheap. If you live in NYC, subways are the way to go. It certainly could be a Great Place to work, espically if your looking for action. But check with a few employees who work in NYC and let them tell you themselves. Its not cheap.

Thanks for the replys so far. Cost of living Im aware of. Im no stranger to the NY area. I pay 1150 for an apartment here in Houston. Gas is a huge expense here due to the fact that Houston is horrendously spread out, and our fine cities excuse of mass transit blows. That is one thing I love about ny, public transit rocks.

Stay in Texas we have enough of you hillbilly buffs moving here already...j/k. Seriously are you sure you want to trade hot Texas summers for freezing New York winters???? If you do decide to make the move be a union man and go FDNY EMS, you will definitely be full time and the benefits are good. apply here http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/communit...ew_042607.shtml

Haha awesome. I love it. Farthest thing from hillbilly. But yeah... Just another Northern Italian family unjustly transplanted into the south lol.

I'd trade New England winters any day of the week for Texas Summers. Today was a "cool" day. Heat index was ONLY 108 degrees with 100% humidity.

What are everyones opinions on FDNY EMS?

What are everyones opinions on FDNY EMS?

If you want to do EMS for the rest of you're life, it's the best long term option in New York (benefits, pay scale, retirement), but you're still a third class citizen far behind FD and PD. Maybe forth if you consider sanitation. Current members i know are there out of necessity and others used it as a spring board to be "promoted" to the suppression side of the Fire Department.

In terms of protocol and things of that nature, New York is probably one of the least progressive states in the union.

Ultimately, it's just like any other EMS agency. You've got the great, the good, the bad and the ugly. I had two first hand encounters with FDNY EMS in Queens in regards to my Grandmother. The first time was when my grandmother fell on sidewalk down the street from her house, my cousin and i pulled up just after the ambulance and i was horrified by the BLS crew's incompetence and revolting attitude towards my 84 year old grandmother. The second experience was with an ALS crew after my grandmother suffered a cardiac event, my family and i were very pleased with the treatment, skill, knowledge and professionalism of the two paramedics. I'm sure the same is the case for where you currently work.