Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest marcno1buf

New Licensure fee's through the roof

8 posts in this topic

To All Professional Ct. Paramedics

It does not shock me at all that once again that we as "Professional Paramedics" are once again being exploited and treated as second class citizens of the "Emergency Services Community". How dare the bureaucrats in Hartford raise our licensing fees from $75- per year to $250- per year.

Last year RN's paid $50- and were increased to $100- per year. Currently Paramedics fees are greater than RN's, PA'S, MD's, ETC.

We are paid far less than what we deserve to begin with and now this a another slap in the face to us.

The nurses union fought the rate increase and won. But, unfortunately as EMS providers we are so busy infighting and not represented by a strong union presence as the Police and Fire Unions fight for their members.

We must unite and fight for what we deserve. It is time we were treated as equals with the other Emergency Services and compensated financially for the jobs we perform.

It is time to unite and show solidarity and fight for what's right.

When this was discussed at the state Advisory Board, we were told that it would increase to $150, not $250. Has this been published officially anywhere? We were also told that licensing fees were being raised across the board (my PA license will also be doubling). Of course for that price, you get the privilege of being a paramedic in the only state in the union that requires neither CME or a re-cert exam to stay licensed!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/ems/EMT.../Appendix_A.htm

Can someone remind me again why Licensing is better than Certification?

Can someone remind me again why Licensing is better than Certification?

Well, it does mean that you could graduate from paramedic school, then take a job managing a McDonald's, and twenty years later you can still be a licensed paramedic without ever having picked up a medical book or touched a patient!! Just send in your check each year, and your all set.

To All Professional Ct. Paramedics

It does not shock me at all that once again that we as "Professional Paramedics" are once again being exploited and treated as second class citizens of the "Emergency Services Community". How dare the bureaucrats in Hartford raise our licensing fees from $75- per year to $250- per year.

On the positive side, you can probably write off the cost of the licensing fees on your income taxes.

While the fee is a bit astronomical, i think gamewell brought up a great point. Write it off on your taxes. While that may not be the most ideal solution it is better than nothing. Other than that, keep lobbying your elected representatives and try to get your respective agencies on board as well. On the bright side, at least you guys are licensed and don't have to deal with the bull associated with trying to square away a re-certification every three ears.

Well, it does mean that you could graduate from paramedic school, then take a job managing a McDonald's, and twenty years later you can still be a licensed paramedic without ever having picked up a medical book or touched a patient!! Just send in your check each year, and your all set.

Ahh, that makes sense. Sign me up!

Goose, I'm surprised to see you say that. While recerting is a monumental pain in the balls, its only such a pain because we lose proficiency in areas we deal with infrequently. While it certainly guarantee a good medic you at least have to have picked up a text book in the past 3 years.

Ahh, that makes sense. Sign me up!

Goose, I'm surprised to see you say that. While recerting is a monumental pain in the balls, its only such a pain because we lose proficiency in areas we deal with infrequently. While it certainly guarantee a good medic you at least have to have picked up a text book in the past 3 years.

NY, don't get me wrong....im not a fan of someone taking a multi-year hiatus from a licensed medical profession, maintaing that license through fees, and then jumping right back into it. I don't know what provisions CT has established, but in my mind i would like to see paramedics in NY licensed with a yearly CME requirement. At the very least it makes life somewhat easier for providers and adds a bit more legitimacy to the profession (i also wouldn't be opposed to the state stiffening requirements if they decided to go with a licensed either...). Don't know if it can be done, how it could or would be done, just my thoughts.

Edited by Goose