Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
md2347

FDNY Fleet Maintenance

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering how often FDNY or any fire department for that matter brings their units in for servicing. Is it a set time, meaning for example every 4 months or is it more complicated then that? The reason I am asking is the local FDNY fire company near me, Engine 253 in Brooklyn, has one of the new engines being introduced into the fleet. Over the weekend I saw that they were running a spare engine. I was wondering if someone on the site might know the reason that it is not in service or if just standard maintenance. Thanks!

Regular Prevenative Maintainence usually occurs when companies are out of service for the day for Education Day or Medicals. The PM guys will pick up the rig and drop it back off. If they are running a spare, usually means something bigger, and its at the shops for a couple weeks.

Regular Prevenative Maintainence usually occurs when companies are out of service for the day for Education Day or Medicals. The PM guys will pick up the rig and drop it back off. If they are running a spare, usually means something bigger, and its at the shops for a couple weeks.

I think it is been out of service for a few weeks. I live not to far from their quarters and I have not heard the electronic Federal Q in a while. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Rigs go for Preventative Maintenance about 4 times a year, like someone said, when the Co. is OOS for the day. The PMP shop ia at The Rock. I think there is also one in Staten Island, a smaller one. Larger, long term repair work is done in Long Island City at, " 'da shops" and the Co, will drop the rig off and pick up a spare. Spares have no tools or hose. ALL equipment is stripped in quarters and repacked on the spare and vice versa.

The shops are pretty good, and turn around time is as fast as possible. However, the problems that have arisen, and been pointed out in the media have to do with warranty repairs which are done by Seagrave in Jersey. They're not so swift......so you're stuck with a junker of a spare for a long time.

Yeah the Seagrave Sales in Jersey is very slow....our tiller was there for over a month once for just a minor issue and we don't have a spare ladder truck to use. That is probably why Seagrave cut them as a dealer and moved to 1st Priority.

You would think that a Seagrave dealers/shops would be quick to turn around repairs especially when there are contracts going out from the city and other areas. Even though the make a great product people always remember the quality of service.

FDNY ambulances are on a 45 day preventive maintanence schedule. Ambulances are serviced in maspeth, queens. stations have spare vehicles assigned to the stations. usual turn around time is 24 hours or less. but it could be longer if a bigger problem is found or the truck has to go back to the dealer for warantee work. and i belive the dealer for the ambulances is in New Jersey as well. Once my truck was out of service for 4 months because of transmision problems, sucked being stuck in spare trucks with 2 man strechers for that long. My back was not happy