Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Ansonia, CT Structure fire (2nd alarm) added information

3 posts in this topic

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=34339&pid=196440&st=0entry196440

This morning at approx 00:30 to 00:40 hours, Ansonia PD received notification of a working structure fire on Bassett Street between May and Cedar Streets. Squad 9 was first on the air and from their quarters across town could see heavy fire from the building (incident s was on the west side, Co. 3 quarters on the east side of the river). 601 (Co. 6 captain) was first fire officer on scene and ordered Engine 3 to come in from Cedar street side and Engine 4 to come in from May Street. The size up was a 2 story wood framed 4 family OMD with a "widow's walk" heavy fire from B, C & D sides and through the roof. Engine 4 took the hydrant at May and Bassett and waited for Truck 7 to com into the scene. While enroute Car 22 (Asst. Chief) had ordered Engine 3 to roll from Co. 3 since they had a crew and Engine 4 signed on shortly after from their quarters four blocks away. Engine 3 had the hydrant located past the A / D corner of the building and Engine 4 feed Truck 7's stang.

Derby FD was notified for an RIT unit thus Engine 11 was assigned. Car 21 (Chief) arrived on scene, assumed command from 601 and ordered a full second alarm, placed Engine 11 to work ordering them to take a hydrant at Howard Avenue and Fr. Lar Drive, proceed into the parking lot of "Pine Lot" located behind the structure. A second RIT unit was ordered from Derby FD, Engine 13 assigned. Ansonia Engine 1 was third due to the scene and Ansonia Engine 5 was relocated to Co. 3 to cover the city. Station coverage was ordered thus one engine from Seymour covered Co. 4 (Murray Street) after being initially sent to Co. 1 (Howard Avenue), Oxford sent an Engine to cover Co. 6 (Main Street) and Woodbridge had an engine at Co. 5 (Pulaski Highway).

The second floor of the B /C side collapsed during the fire and the master stream from Truck 7 was used for most of the operations. Lines from Engine 3 and 4 were used from the outside and stinger of DFD Engine 11 was used on the "C" side. The fire was darken down about 30 to 45 minutes into the incident and placed under control at about 01:30. Ansonia's FMO and the State Police FMO were on scene and all units cleared approximately 15:30 this afternoon.

The residential structure was old and it is believed it was erected between the 1850s to 1880s. Over the years it had undergone several renovations and converted into a four family residence. All the residents were relocated by the Red Cross.

Units operating on scene

Ansonia: Engines 4, 1, 3, 6, Truck 7, Squad 9, C-21, C-22, C-23, C-25, FMO & Ansonia EMS.

Derby: Engine 11 & Engine 13 (RIT)

State Police FMO

Thank you for adding to my I/A. we were screwing around at EMS base when it came in. i grabbed my partner and we started on our way. en route to the fire we were then dispatched to a MVC roll over in RT8 North prior to exit 14 so i had to re route to my actual call lol. i would have been arriving with some of the first due engines but duty called. i entered Rt 8 N at exit 13 and when i pulled up to the roll over i got out and could actually smell the structure fire from my location!!!!! jsut for everyone to know that is approximately 4 miles as the crow flies. helped that wind was in our direction. after we cleared our call i went to ansonia to see the house and man she was still hot after over an hour of water im guessing. got to see some friends. glad everyone made it out safe. that was a very large structure and from what i saw was well involved. good job guys;)

edit to add question - Izzy - when they dispatched seymour for coverage why did they state that Ansonia was working a structure fire involving 4 buildings? was that because it was a 4 family residence? I saw the house next door had siding damage due to heat, were there any other exposure issues?

Edited by FFFORD

edit to add question - Izzy - when they dispatched seymour for coverage why did they state that Ansonia was working a structure fire involving 4 buildings? was that because it was a 4 family residence? I saw the house next door had siding damage due to heat, were there any other exposure issues?

I'm not sure how Seymour was dispatched, I only had my duty pager with me. When I got on scene Engine 3 & 4 & Truck 7 had already started operating, Engine 11 from Derby was laying in across Howard Avenue into the parking lot of the park in the rear, and the Squad was setting up its light tower. It might have been confused due to the 4 apartments being understood as 4 buildings which it wasn't. The only exposure problem was the two-story two family located on the "B" side, about 30 feet away. "A" was the street, "B" like I said, "C" was a back yard 50' wide by 30' deep to the property line where the "Pine Lot" parking lot was and "D" was the hill to "Pine Lot" park. We went into the exposure to confirm there was no extension to it but there was plenty of damage to the vinyl siding.