Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

USS New York

2 posts in this topic

Posted from another site...

A few weeks back, I was invited down to New York as a guest of Lee Ielpi, FDNY Ret., co-founder of the WTC Tribute Center, to attend the commissioning of the USS New York. During the day I had the opportunity to meet with many of the sailors and officers of the ship, the average age being about 22 years old. That being said, most of these individuals were adolescents at the time of 9/11, and did not have a full understanding of the magnitude and historical impact this event had on not only the country but also the many New Yorkers that perished , lived and continue to live through this tragedy.

As a result, I have offered to build and donate a section of the library on the ship titled "New York". This section will include books, DVDs and documentaries on the FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, 9-11 and New York in general. I am contacting those that I have reached out to over the past 8 years to see if they can assist me in making this happen. My goal is to donate up to 300 of these items, and I will be purchasing the majority of these items myself, and would ask your assistance in helping me acheive this goal. I am asking those on the job if they would help by taking a collection at their firehouse or precinct, and others if they would consider donating either cash or a Barnes and Noble giftcard. My goal is to raise $2000 - $3000 and I'm well on the way.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please feel free to contact me , Lee Ielpi or DC Fred Lafemina who will be offering me some guidance with this project. Our contact information is listed below.

God Bless & Stay Safe,

John Churcher

1906 Rosewood Ct

Highland Mills, NY 10930

H 978-537-3161

C 617-680-4350

Lee Ielpi FDNY (Ret)

W 212-422-3520 x114

DC Fred LaFemina FDNY Special Operations

W 212-755-8597

DOC22 likes this

That's very kind of you! It's nice to also note, that while many of the service people on board were in their twenties, many had asked to be stationed aboard the ship (is stationed the right word?) because they are(were) from N.Y.

I wish you well in a very nice tribute that you have undertaken.

Good luck. :rolleyes :)

Edited by tunaFish