Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

LTR PassPort Scanning

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a scanner that can monitor LTR PassPort trunking?

I see it is becoming popular and a few agencies in the area are using it.

Does anyone know of a scanner that can monitor LTR PassPort trunking?

I see it is becoming popular and a few agencies in the area are using it.

No scanner on the market can track a PassPort system. You can input all the frequencies, but will hear everyone on the system. A good website with the frequencies for the PassPort system as well as other local trunk systems is

nf2g.com

At the moment, you cannot do it. The theory behind passport is that you need to be authenticated to be on "the system". Therefore, a scanner that doesn't provide the proper handshake to the receiving tower wouldn't be allowed to authenticate. As sad as it may sound, it's really annoying not to be able to hear what's going on at work from home sometimes.

Thanks :unsure: It sucks because I wanted to tune in a couple paid ems agencies

I am also very familiar with the web site and have met Dave Stark in the past,back when he ran NYSING

You more than likely will not see the PassPort system on any scanner currently. PassPort operates (to my knowleged) just like the older Multi-Net system, which Waterbury CT operates on. Sad that we can't listen to it, but it is a good system to operate on.

I put the main channel in as a conventional frequency and I am able to hear the service that I wanted to hear loud and clear. So for now I am happy. I know I may hear others talking but it's not bothering me yet.

What is the main channel frequency that you entered in as a conventional channel??

Also, the only way to really monitor the system is with a two-way radio that does PassPort scanning. However, this is the problem.......the radio serial number or ID# has to be entered into the system in order for your radio to function on the network. The PassPort system that is being used by Mobile Life and Hudson Valley Paramedics/Regional EMS is owned and maintained by Goosetown Communications out of Rockland County. They are very strict with their system and if you are not part of one of the agencies that use their system, you are SOL. Each radio on their system is paid for by these agencies. They will not put a radio on their network for free.

The coverage on this system is awesome. If you look at this website www.repeaternetwork.com and click system coverage or overall coverage you can see most of the area coverage by this system. They also cover Delaware County NY. They put a tower up in the area of the Town of Walton. This is because the NYC DEP Police Department covers 2 of the largest NYC water supplies in that area and they use the PassPort system. This lets them communicate all the way back to NYC from all the way upstate

Not sure if it is true of all Passport trunked systems, but in general, each user of a Passport trunked system has a "Home" frequency, at least on the user's "Primary" tower site. And in general, all of that user's transmissions will be on that "Home" frequency unless that frequency is in use by another user, in which case the Passport system will distribute the transmission to another frequency at that tower site. A heavy user, ie an ambulance service with many units,may in fact me the ONLY user of a paticularly frequency as its "Home" channel. This explains why another poster stated that he has entered one frequency for a Passport Tower site and is hearing the transmissions he wants to hear. I have done the same here in CT for a service I monitor that is on a Passport trunked system. The only problem I have encountered it that on my newer scanners, the constant "popping" sound the Passport System emits causes my newer scanners to lock up on that channel. My older scanners do not seem to be affected in the same way. Strange! The great thing about Passport systems is that they usually cover huge geographic areas with many tower sites, giving users coverage they could never afford with a dedicated two-way radio system of their own.

The only problem I have encountered it that on my newer scanners, the constant "popping" sound the Passport System emits causes my newer scanners to lock up on that channel. My older scanners do not seem to be affected in the same way. Strange!

I got that initialy when I put it in my scanner with a 2 second delay after I changed it to 1 second delay it stopped.

Trauma74 - What is the main channel frequency that you entered in as a conventional channel??

477.275 for Mobil Life. The reception is awsome.

I am also interested in hearing DEP because they are doing major work a half mile from my house