Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rutola413

F.D.N.Y unit question

10 posts in this topic

I was just looking at some pictures of trucks from FDNY, and I got a little stumped.

Does anyone know what the:

RAC Unit is,

The Merv(I think it is), which is the bus

and what service does fire patrol do?

This is the first time I have seen these trucks, so I am not too familiar with them or "big city" fire operations.

Any help is much apreciated

I was just looking at some pictures of trucks from FDNY, and I got a little stumped.

Does anyone know what the:

RAC Unit is,

The Merv(I think it is), which is the bus

and what service does fire patrol do?

This is the first time I have seen these trucks, so I am not too familiar with them or "big city" fire operations.

Any help is much apreciated

RAC= Recuperation and Care: They bring water gatoraid hot stuff in winter, cold towels in summer etc.

MERV= Mobile Emergency Response Vehicle, EMS uses for field triage (that's all I've seen them used for)

Fire Patrol no longer exists but they were a salvage corps.

I heard a rumor a while back that they were thinking of bringing the fire patrol back in some form or another? Weren't they funded by the insurance industry?

I heard a rumor a while back that they were thinking of bringing the fire patrol back in some form or another? Weren't they funded by the insurance industry?

Yes, FPNY had 3 stations in NYC I believe and were funded by the insurance companies. I have not heard anything about it coming back though.

The 5 MERV's and MRTU (Mobil respiratory treatment unit or 'BOB') are all designed to transport multiple patients however they're generally used as the triage/treatment area at multiple alarm fires and other large MCI's.

I too had heard that the FPNY was going to return in some form. It's a shame that it's been disbanded. I remember seeing the patroleos around their Station 1. Small investment for a lot of savings.

Thank you for your replies!

i had no idea up until now.

Also, are there Volunter Fire Companies in Queens?

Or are those paid companies with different names(rather than FDNY)

Thank you for your replies!

i had no idea up until now.

Also, are there Volunter Fire Companies in Queens?

Or are those paid companies with different names(rather than FDNY)

There are volunteer companies in The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, & Staten Island. Some are bigger and more active than others and respond in small isolated areas within their respective boro's.... It would appear that Aviation Hose in the Bronx is all but dead.

Look on Martinelli's FDNY Trucks page and you'll see them listed at the bottom of the "Special Units" page.

Edited by mfc2257

There are volunteer companies in The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, & Staten Island. Some are bigger and more active than others and respond in small isolated areas within their respective boro's.... It would appear that Aviation Hose in the Bronx is all but dead.

Look on Martinelli's FDNY Trucks page and you'll see them listed at the bottom of the "Special Units" page.

That is where I saw them

Yes, FPNY had 3 stations in NYC I believe and were funded by the insurance companies. I have not heard anything about it coming back though.

The Fire Patrol was funded by the 2% Insurance Fund that the insurance companies pay to FD's based on their ISO rating. I worked there for one year in 1987 and it was (when it worked right) a good service. A great bunch of guys to work with. Last I read, there was some sort of effort being initiated on the State level to try and pass legislation to force the NY Board of Fire Underwriters to reinstate the Fire Patrols. However, we all know the political power the Insurance industry has so I wouldn't get my hopes up! It's a shame though, lot's of history in the Patrol throughout the years. I was told when I worked there by some of the senior guys then that "patrolmen" used to go through the FDNY academy years ago and that during the great depression, the NY Board of Fire Underwriters paid the FDNY's salary for a year to keep them going when the city was broke! Anyway, not sure how true those stories were, maybe a former Patrol member can confirm or dispute them. It would be great to see them brought back.